Thoughts on sending TTM requests to home addresses?

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
AJLe
Marked Out Master

Thoughts on sending TTM requests to home addresses?

Post by AJLe » May 20th, 2020, 9:25 am

Female wrestler Deonna Purrazzo recently spoke out on her Twitter about being upset that a fan had found her home address, and sent her autograph requests through the mail:
I seem to recall another female wrestling talent having a similar complaint on social media recently as well. So the question is - do you think that sending a TTM autograph request to a home address is "crossing a line"? I can kinda understand a female wrestler being more sensitive to something like this, since their fanbase has a much higher ratio of creepy weirdo dudes than many other celebs do, but at the end of the day is it that big of a deal? I also don't know the backstory of this particular autograph seeker, since judging by the comments he seems to be "known" to a lot of people, so maybe this particular guy has a bad reputation for being creepy in other ways as well?

I've only dabbled in TTM stuff myself, but I always assumed that most mainstream celebs considered fan mail at home to be a mild nuisance that "comes with the territory", but it's an area I'm far from expert in, so is her viewpoint common? Is it an age thing, with younger celebs more likely to be freaked out by stuff like this than older ones?

Jason1980s
Marked Out Pro

Re: Thoughts on sending TTM requests to home addresses?

Post by Jason1980s » May 20th, 2020, 10:00 am

I sent ttm requests for about 7 years and maybe another year or two on and off and it's usually the lower tier "celebrities" who object to getting mail at the home address. I've never heard of this lady personally. For some without an agency address, the home is the only way to go. If she doesn't want to respond then don't, send it back unsigned or refused. Fans will get the message. Don't try to be a Seth or Sasha and demean fans on social media.
Edit: I looked at the twitter page after posting and it's pretty funny that it's pretty much "no namers" who are posting. I know I've been out of the WWE loop for years but I still follow website enough to know who most people are and other than Helms, I know non of them. These are probably people normally begging fans to buy a shirt or 8x10 at a show. Especially funny is Shane Helms who, in 2000, had an official website and posted either a home address or p.o. box for fans to send him mail that he claimed he would sign. I sent a piece of paper with photo I printed out from his website and he never responded. I sent an 8x10 in 2001 and he never responded. It's one thing not to want fan mail but to post you will respond and you don't is pretty crappy.
As Jim Ross would say, "Go ahead kid, make a name for yourself" and anytime a sports star or tv/movie persona posts like this on twitter, it's always a lower level talent and most likely trolling for their peers attention.
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » May 20th, 2020, 10:14 am

It's one of the aspects of the hobby that have been going on forever, but is pretty creepy when you really look at it. I mean, sure it's a letter which isn't too bad, but if one person gets the address and either shows up for an autograph or something worse, it could be a problem.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » May 20th, 2020, 10:32 am

She's probably fearful that someone - or multiple people - could show up at her home at any given moment. That would freak me out, too.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » May 20th, 2020, 12:13 pm

I could definitely see the objection if somebody physically showed up at her house, but it seems like some people (not necessarily her, but some of the comments) are acting like sending the letter and going to the house are comparable actions, and I think that's really a reach, IMO.

Just toss the letters or return them to sender, and word will get around that she doesn't sign TTM at her home.

yosemitechris
Marked Out King

Post by yosemitechris » May 20th, 2020, 1:12 pm

this is why you should have a po box , just for TTM requests! i do alot of TTM through celebs po boxes or business offices , never had a prob.

Anthony18
Marked Out Pro

Post by Anthony18 » May 25th, 2020, 2:34 am

I guess it depends on if they look at it as crossing the line. I guess Deonna does, but Rico Constantino did an interview with Hannibal tv and at the end of the video he gives his home address if someone wants to send him something.
Last edited by Anthony18 on May 26th, 2020, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hack87
Full Fledged Mark

Post by hack87 » May 25th, 2020, 3:34 pm

I'd think it's primarily an issue with especially younger female talent. 99% of them are online and either sell autographed items or can be reached easily by email or social media. Why not ask them if they have an fanmail address rather than tracking them down at their home?

capman
Marked Out King

Post by capman » May 27th, 2020, 2:28 pm

Since I had nothing to do during my furlough, I just did my first one with Henry Winkler two weeks ago and had success. Got it back yesterday

Anthony18
Marked Out Pro

Post by Anthony18 » May 30th, 2020, 7:30 pm

capman wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 2:28 pm
Since I had nothing to do during my furlough, I just did my first one with Henry Winkler two weeks ago and had success. Got it back yesterday
Henry Winkler seems like a super guy so that doesn’t surprise me.

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » June 15th, 2020, 12:54 pm

Here is a message from Billy Gunn on the subject:
In the last month, I have received numerous amounts of fan mail to my home address. Im not sure when this became ok to do, but It is NOT!! I don't know where and how or who gave out our home address BUT please STOP and please pass this message along, ALL fan mail will be retuned to sender immediately!!! This is our home, this is our private time and time away from wrestling. We appreciate all the Billy Gunn and Gunn Club love and support, but our home is off limits to wrestling and anything related to wrestling.
Any negative remarks, will be deleted and you will be blocked.
~Paula and Kip

Jason1980s
Marked Out Pro

Post by Jason1980s » June 15th, 2020, 1:17 pm

I'm thinking it is probably his wife who created the message as she's most likely the one "scared" or not wanting wrestling crossing over into their personal life. Seems like a social media version of Mark Hamill's wife. I'll never agree with anyone who takes to social media to scold fans, supporters, people who admire your work or embarrass them (even if no names are mentioned). I get the home being private but it's not like wrestlers have big time agencies you can send to where their mail gets forwarded.
If she doesn't like how famous her husband is maybe she should make a wish for him to have never gone past his Rockabilly gimmick where he most likely would have been future endeavored if not for Road Dogg having the talent to take both guys from the very bottom to the very top of the promotion. I try and guard my privacy too to some degree and I'm not even a celebrity but I would never be disrespectful or demeaning of anyone who knows me from one of my jobs if they thought highly enough of me or my work to attempt to contact me outside of the workplace and this has happened to me in one of the jobs I held.
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » June 15th, 2020, 1:43 pm

How was she being disrespectful or demeaning? I don’t blame any celeb for not wanting fans to know where they live and to send them autograph requests or anything else. If you see someone in person , I can understand you thinking they should be nice and sign autos as that is the price of fame. But not at their house. You come across as a good dude but you must live in a bubble if you think that celebs should respond to people having their address and sending them stuff in any way different then the gunns did.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » June 15th, 2020, 3:01 pm

Honestly folks, go over to www.fanmail.biz and check on the celebrity's address there, and whether there are results. Often some of them don't have a problem answering mail, and some do, which is why their address won't be listed. There's really nothing to go bonkers over, TTM has been happening this way for decades.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » June 15th, 2020, 3:13 pm

Although I would obviously respect their wishes if I knew a celeb didn't want fan mail at home, I don't personally consider it to be an "invasion of privacy" level thing either. Most of the mail I get at my house is stuff I don't want and didn't ask for (solicitations, coupons, credit offers, etc), and I just toss it.

If a celeb doesn't want mail coming to their home, simply don't sign and eventually people will stop wasting their time sending to an unresponsive address. But I think getting offended on privacy issues is a little over the top, IMO.