Creepy autograph request story

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Creepy autograph request story

Post by oldschoolwwwf » February 3rd, 2020, 11:46 am

This story concerns a very highly ranked in the state high school baseball pitcher, a kid I know very well. He got a strange letter from a doctor in Wisconsin. The letter said that this guy collects autographs and the kid is a possibility to be drafted in the next couple of years. So he requested that the kid send 3 autographed index cards to the guy in Wisconsin with a picture of the kid attached.

The kid was totally creeped out and refuses to send anything to this guy. The kid is like why would I send him anything? I joked it’s his first and maybe last autograph request!

Moral of the story, high school kids are creeped out by people making autograph requests in the mail. Don’t do it!

Bozarth
Full Fledged Mark

Re: Creepy autograph request story

Post by Bozarth » February 3rd, 2020, 11:59 am

Hell... I feel weird asking for photos of the kids in Broadway shows and even those Stranger Things kids. Sending a letter to a high school kid is super weird

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » February 3rd, 2020, 12:27 pm

It would still be kinda creepy to me regardless, but I could *ALMOST* condone it if the kid actually had been drafted directly out of high school, since then the kid's name is out there in the public eye, and he's crossing over into the professional ranks. But to track down mail contact info on a minor, even if it was through the school, is super creepy. And if that wasn't bad enough, he wants the kid to send pics of himself with the graphs? C'mon...show some common sense and decency!

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » February 4th, 2020, 12:11 pm

Beyond the obvious shadiness/creepiness, the effort involved to track down potential baseball draftees is insane. There has to be hundreds of kids every year!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » February 4th, 2020, 12:40 pm

And baseball's so unpredictable that even some first-rounders will either become average big-leaugers or won't pan out at all. So even if you got EVERY high school kid in a given draft year, 5-10 years later you'd still only have a handful of true superstar graphs.

So much (creepy) work to basically take a shot in the dark.

Luke
Marked Out King

Post by Luke » February 12th, 2020, 3:11 pm

Wouldn't it be much easier to just get the kid when he's made it? I'm sure athletes sign for free in the States anyway don't they?