WrestleCon 2020, April 3/4, 2020 (Tampa, FL)

This is the place to discuss Conventions
crossfire
Full Fledged Mark

WrestleCon 2020, April 3/4, 2020 (Tampa, FL)

Post by crossfire » October 3rd, 2019, 8:26 pm

Convention to be held at George M. Steinbrenner Field, a a baseball stadium. Apparently everything will be indoors though. I assume WWE really went after Tampa hotels?

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Re: WrestleCon 2020, April 3/4, 2020 (Tampa, FL)

Post by AJLe » October 3rd, 2019, 8:41 pm

I go to Mania every year, and the "WWE forces indy stuff out of town" narrative has pretty much always been false. There's always stuff booked all over the place, near and far, and Steinbrenner Field is LITERALLY across the street from the WM venue, and shares a common parking area that's connected with a foot bridge. So if Vince was really going after Tampa venues, I imagine that Steinbrenner Field would have been at the top of his list, lol.

Don't get why they'd book it to do stuff indoors though - other than the gift shop, there's not a whole lot in that venue that's 100% indoors-even the concourses are mostly open air.

crossfire
Full Fledged Mark

Post by crossfire » October 3rd, 2019, 11:47 pm

Yeah I guess your right. I was just guessing. They wrote on Facebook:

We are not using the field. All of the spaces in the stadium that we are using, including the concourse, are shielded from the elements. No concerns about rain or too much sun. I know it’s different from what we’ve done in the past, but it’s going to be fantastic!

gdawg41180

Post by gdawg41180 » October 4th, 2019, 12:12 am

Wwe does corporate deals with hotels and arenas in the area to try to block out events. Last year they even booked people at axxess that were already booked for wrestlecon just so they could force them to cancel wrestlecon.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » October 4th, 2019, 6:46 am

gdawg41180 wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 12:12 am
Wwe does corporate deals with hotels and arenas in the area to try to block out events. Last year they even booked people at axxess that were already booked for wrestlecon just so they could force them to cancel wrestlecon.
As far as venues go, do they keep other wrestling shows from running the same arena Raw, Axxess and the HOF are in? Sure. Do they keep WreslteCon from running the hotel that their talent is staying at? They probably do. But this newsletter narrative that WWE books up all of the local hotels and convention centers in the Mania city, in order to force all of the indy stuff miles and miles into the suburbs for Mania Week has ALWAYS been bullshit. I've gone every year for the last 18 years, and there have always been a lot of non-WWE stuff booked right downtown close to Mania itself. Literally happens that way every single year-heck, last year there was a con that ran the Sunday morning of Mania, that was at a hotel like 2 miles up Route 3 from MetLife.

And like I said, this year WrestleCon booked a venue that literally *shares the same parking area as WrestleMania itself does*, so it doesn't get any closer than that. It's fine to be pissed at WWE, but at least be pissed at them for things they're actually doing, not bogus rumors that are pretty easily disproven.

gdawg41180

Post by gdawg41180 » October 4th, 2019, 10:06 am

They try to block stuff every year but usually aren't successful. Does anyone know when we get the first batch of guest announced

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » October 4th, 2019, 11:03 am

gdawg41180 wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 10:06 am
They try to block stuff every year but usually aren't successful.
OR...the "blocking" stories were BS from the start? I mean, last year at Mania ROH and NJPW had their fan events at the Hulu Theater at MSG, WrestleCon had a big hotel in the middle of Times Square, and Vince got...the Brooklyn Pier for his. Vince certainly could have run the HOF or Takeover at MSG if he wanted to "block" them out, but not only did he not "block" the other shows, he ran a far less convenient venue then they did, lol.

And like I said, there have been close/convenient venues run near Mania EVERY year since those rumors started. When they ran Orlando, I literally walked from Axxess to WrestleCon. In New Orleans, the WrestleCon venue was across the street from Axxess both times Mania was there. I don't wanna be a dick about it, but I mean the facts of where these indy shows run every year kinda totally disproves the "Vince buys out all the hotel space and forces them out to the suburbs" rumor, and has for a long time. It's not ever really an arguable point.

Just because Meltzer publishes something, doesn't automatically make it true.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » October 4th, 2019, 11:25 am

The WWE did pull talent from the last WrestleCon.

As far as venues, I have no clue how any of that works.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » October 4th, 2019, 11:46 am

Talent is a whole other story. If a guy signs a contract with WWE, promoters are then at Vince's mercy when it comes to booking those guys, and they can be pulled at any time if they're under his contract. It's a known risk, and if promoters choose to take that risk, they know that it can blow up in their face eventually.

The original venue story (that I believe originated from Meltzer and/or Alvarez) was that after WrestleCon ran across the street from Axxess during WM30 in NOLA, Vince was supposedly pissed off, and started pressuring the Mania cities to not rent out any downtown hotel or convention space to WrestleCon and the various indy shows, so they'd be forced to run way out of town in the suburbs. And despite years and years of that NOT happening, people still accept that original story as fact, for some reason.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » October 4th, 2019, 11:52 am

Found a recent story from March of this year:
The latest edition of the The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that WWE is attempting to block independent wrestling from coming to the cities of Tampa and St. Petersburg in Florida during Wrestlemania 36 weekend next year. This has been rumored over the last week, with Joey Janela previously commenting on it and confirming that next year’s Spring Break show is still happening.

WWE attempted to pull a similar stunt when they had Wrestlemania 31 in San Jose. The Fairgrounds at the time booked several shows but most other buildings like the Civic Auditorium wouldn’t allow for other wrestling, which is why ROH ran a show in Redwood City that year.
Wrestlemania 36 will be held at the Raymond James Stadium and it’s likely that NXT Takeover, RAW and Smackdown will be held at the nearby Amalie Arena. The only other nearby arena is the Yuengling Center on the campus of the University of South Florida (formerly the Sun Dome, the venue of the 1995 Royal Rumble), which seats 10,500. The Vinik Enterprises runs that building and Amalie, so in theory, that could be locked out if WWE convinces them to.

It remains to be seen the independent companies will compensate for WWE attempting to block them this year as they did for past attempts. When WWE ran Wrestlemania 33 in Orlando, ROH ran an event at the RP Funding Center in Lakeland, which is 35 miles away from Tampa. That venue only seats 4,000 however, and would be small for a joint show with New Japan. The University Arena CDC Gym in North Tampa holds 600 and could be used for the bigger indies, but WWE uses it regularly for NXT shows. Orlando has many places but is 85 miles away
https://411mania.com/wrestling/wwe-bloc ... emania-36/

The bold is interesting because it claims that WWE actually pulled this off with ROH way back during WM 31
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » October 4th, 2019, 12:07 pm

More likely ROH books shitty locations, and used Vince as the scapegoat. It's funny how Dave mentions how far away the ROH venue in Orlando was, but doesn't mention that WrestleCon was able to book an Orlando venue literally down the street from Axxess. Apparently the WrestleCon promoter wasn't effected by the "blocking" but ROH was? What's even funnier than that is that Dave ran this story back in March, and now we have WrestleCon announce a Tampa venue that's (literally) right next door to WrestleMania.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » October 4th, 2019, 12:10 pm

I would imagine that WWE cared more about ROH than WrestleCon but who knows (though they have pulled talent from W.C. for Axxess, which is their right)

I wonder what they would do if AEW tried to do something during Mania weekend (though I believe Cody said they would not run a show that weekend).

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » October 4th, 2019, 12:33 pm

ICW wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 12:10 pm
I would imagine that WWE cared more about ROH than WrestleCon but who knows?

I wonder what they would do if AEW tried to do something during Mania weekend (though I believe Cody said they would not run a show that weekend).
The funny thing is, the original story was that WrestleCon were the ones that originally pissed Vince off during WM30, so if the story were true, I imagine they'd be higher on the radar than anybody else. Of course, if the story was true, WrestleCon probably wouldn't have been able to book the exact same NOLA venue again when Mania came back there the second time.

With AEW, I imagine that if they ran, it would be at a big 10K+ venue, and each city only has a handful of those, and you know Mania/Raw/HOF/Takeover are going to be using at least one of them, so it'll be harder for them to find a venue that size. But for WrestleCon/ROH/Janella type shows, every major city is going to have ample venues to choose from - it's just a matter of planning (and paying) far enough ahead of time to get the desirable ones.

What it all boils down to is common sense: if Vince didn't block another company from running MADISON SQUARE GARDEN during Mania week this year, do you really think he's actively plotting a year in advance to block out local fairgrounds, convention centers, Marriots, etc. in Florida? How many more years of this NOT happening does it take before Meltzer stops running with this story every year, lol.

gdawg41180

Post by gdawg41180 » October 4th, 2019, 12:46 pm

The Msg thing was WWE being lazy they let something lapse in their contract it and others took advantage. Wwe has had exclusive deals with hotels and arenas for years even back to the 80s. Wcw couldn't run slot of places like MSG due to this. Most of the deals were NBA arenas. If you don't believe it it doesn't mean it isn't true. Let's move forward and actually discuss the convention please.

Felix27

Post by Felix27 » October 6th, 2019, 12:12 am

Wrestle con sucked this year