AEW VS NXT DEBUT DISCUSSION

lanza218
Site Admin

AEW VS NXT DEBUT DISCUSSION

Post by lanza218 » October 3rd, 2019, 10:31 am

Watched both via DVR. NXT thoughts

Enjoyed the entire show. Hot crowd nice mix of matches. LOVED Finn and Tomasso surprise returns. And sets up some challenges for Adam Cole....BAY BAY!!!

AEW. Was a fine show. Lil underwhelming and again getting a strong sense that Cody is HHH V2. Great main event. But meh on Swagger. Other matches were ok. Loved the stage and entrances. Rest though just ok. I enjoyed time limits being back.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Re: AEW VS NXT DEBUT DISCUSSION

Post by ICW » October 3rd, 2019, 11:25 am

I haven't watched NXT so I'll have to refrain on making any comparisons between the two shows. My understanding is that NXT featured better pro wrestling while AEW had a better overall show but, again, I have to watch NXT and make my own determination.

I thought Dynamite was exactly what I wanted in a modern pro wrestling show: easy to watch, understand, and enjoy. I didn't go into it dreading some 3 hour shit show with cuck angles, pregnancy angles, Michael Cole shouting buzzwords for 3 hours, a 20 minute opening promo, McMahons everywhere, a geek as the World Champion, etc.

It felt like I was watching a good episode of Nitro, which is what I really wanted.

Tony Khan said after the show that the heels at the end of the broadcast would be a stable, which I love. Gimmie stables.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » October 3rd, 2019, 4:10 pm

overnight ratings from Nielsen has AEW at a 0.7 and NXT at 0.5. Final ratings and viewership will be out later this afternoon

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » October 3rd, 2019, 4:11 pm

AEW smoked NXT in ratings. 1.4 to 891K

Here's an eye popping stat:

AEW drew 878K in the key demo of 18-48, nearly matching NXT's *total* viewership.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » October 3rd, 2019, 4:20 pm

Right. Hence the .7 to .5 which is what gets shows renewed/cancelled.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » October 3rd, 2019, 4:21 pm

NXT only lost 100k total viewers. Really not bad. Most of the AEW viewers seem new. Let's see what the retention is for next week.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » October 6th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Didn’t finish NXT yet. Though the Cole/Riddle match was excellent

AEW was very good, which is exactly what I expected. They have to pace themselves now since it’s weekly and not the random PPVs only to make a name for themselves. Not everything will be stellar and they won’t be pedal to the metal with everything they do now.

The broadcast team is easily my favorite right now with Mauro/Nigel second.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » October 7th, 2019, 8:01 am

They announced over the weekend a YouTube show called AEW Dark. They're airing the previous week's dark matches with Tony Schiavone as host every Tuesday night. Wins and loses count towards their record.

This is the card for the first show:

Darby Allin vs. CIMA

The Lucha Brothers (Pentagon Jr. & Fenix), Jack Evans & Angelico vs. Private Party (Marq Quen & Isiah Kassidy) & Best Friends (Trent Barreta & Chuck Taylor)

Dr. Britt Baker & Allie vs. Bea Priestley & Penelope Ford

SoCal Uncensored (Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian & Scorpio Sky) vs. Jurassic Express (Luchasaurus, Jungle Boy & Marko Stunt)

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » October 7th, 2019, 7:21 pm

ICW wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 8:01 am
They announced over the weekend a YouTube show called AEW Dark. They're airing the previous week's dark matches with Tony Schiavone as host every Tuesday night. Wins and loses count towards their record.

This is the card for the first show:

Darby Allin vs. CIMA

The Lucha Brothers (Pentagon Jr. & Fenix), Jack Evans & Angelico vs. Private Party (Marq Quen & Isiah Kassidy) & Best Friends (Trent Barreta & Chuck Taylor)

Dr. Britt Baker & Allie vs. Bea Priestley & Penelope Ford

SoCal Uncensored (Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian & Scorpio Sky) vs. Jurassic Express (Luchasaurus, Jungle Boy & Marko Stunt)
That’s a great idea. It’s a second show to get additional talent exposure but it doesn’t have any real expectations.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » October 10th, 2019, 9:40 am

Last night's show was great

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » October 10th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Both AEW and nXT are mirror images. Purely good in ring work with very little characters or much storyline going on. Both are a breeze to watch but do miss a little story at least. Like for example. The Best Friends segment on AEw besides hugging and a useless interview. I'd love to see more of why/how they are best friends so I can invest in them

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » October 10th, 2019, 5:32 pm

lanza218 wrote:
October 10th, 2019, 12:13 pm
Both AEW and nXT are mirror images. Purely good in ring work with very little characters or much storyline going on. Both are a breeze to watch but do miss a little story at least. Like for example. The Best Friends segment on AEw besides hugging and a useless interview. I'd love to see more of why/how they are best friends so I can invest in them
AEW is building some character's at least. The Jericho promo introducing "The Inner Circle," was a great promo & it really made Sammy Guevara a legit name (since he has the least main stream exposure).

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » October 12th, 2019, 5:57 pm

I think aew is a little overhyped. It’s definitely more watchable then wwe but since I find wwe unwatchable , it’s not saying much.

The Jericho promo was good, some entertaining matches too but i fast forward through most of the show and can’t imagine any set of circumstances that I would pay money for a ppv. I do like that they are on tnt on demand as it is much easier to watch on my iPad where I can fast forward by sliding my finger and watch the whole show in minutes.