NJPW Fighting Spirit in NYC

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
mrira
Marked Out Master

NJPW Fighting Spirit in NYC

Post by mrira » September 29th, 2019, 8:49 am

When they announced NJPW would be doing an East Coast tour & NYC would be a stop, I figured I go figuring the Meet & Greet would be good. About 2 weeks out from the event, they announced the M&G for the 3 tour stops & unfortunately, only 4 people would be doing M&G before each stop. For NYC it was referee Tiger Hattori, Lance Archer, Tomohiro Ishii & Kota Ibushi. I was disappointed in no Okada, but hoped for the best & got tickets for Hattori, Ishii & Ibushi (already had Archer).

I arrived at the Manhattan Center at 3:30, with the M&G set to start at around 4. We were let in a little before 4 & had to check in & get our tickets. We went downstairs to where the M&G would be happening & they had 4 backdrops set up; a big NJPW logo for Ibushi & Hattori, a CHAOS logo for Ishii & Suzukigunn for Archer. As we were waiting for the talent to come out the staff informed us that we would be receiving pre-signed photo's, talent would not sign any outside items & only one shot at photos.

Tiger Hattori had the shortest line, so I headed over to him first. Tiger is retiring soon, so he was very humble.

I had a friend in the Ibushi line so I joined them in line to get him. I was hoping Ibushi would have his Tokyo Dome briefcase with him, but he different. Ibushi was very nice.

Lastly, I got in line for Ishii.

We were made to leave the venue after the M&G, so I headed across the street to get some food before I headed over for the show to begin. We were let in about 6. Over by the merch line I saw Lance Archer & Mikey Nicholls (formerly of TM-61 in NXT) were offering combo's. I went over to Nicholl's & asked how much & he said $20 for an 8x10 & a photo or $30 for a shirt & photo. I gave him $20 for the 8x10 & got my photo

When I went to my seat I saw EVIL & SANADA also doing combo's, but I already had them so I didn't bother.

The show was supposed to start at 7, but when 7 hit someone announced there was technical difficulties & the show would be delayed. I went to use the restroom & ran into board member wewantflair just arriving. At around 8, the NJPW guy running the tour announced there was still a delay & he was very sorry. Someone in back of me said the ambulance the Manhattan Center uses was stuck in traffic & the NYS athletic commission requires one to be present. I got sick of waiting, so I headed out & when I got to my train I read that someone had called the ambulance company that morning & informed them the show was cancelled & they would not be needed. I read the show didn't get started until 8:30.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Re: NJPW Fighting Spirit in NYC

Post by ICW » September 29th, 2019, 2:50 pm

Those are awesome gets!
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » September 29th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Nice stuff dude. The no retakes isn’t a huge issue if you use an iPhone with Live Photo enabled but it could be problematic with an old fashioned camera.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » September 29th, 2019, 8:30 pm

The no retakes thing isn't a huge deal, but it's a crappy policy to treat paying customers that way, IMO. You're basically saying "We don't care if you aren't happy with the product you're paying for".

If I order fast food and they forget to put the cheese and lettuce on my burger, they fix my order to the way I ordered and paid for it - the restaurant doesn't shrug their shoulders and say "Sorry, we only allow for one attempt to get your order right".

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » September 29th, 2019, 8:50 pm

New Japan has to get better with running autograph signings. They pulled some bullshit at WrestleCon, too.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!

anthonyburris
Marked Out King

Post by anthonyburris » September 29th, 2019, 9:03 pm

That's how they did the G1 here in Dallas.. Upset many fans
YES YES YES

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » September 29th, 2019, 9:09 pm

The WOTW M&Gs where NJPW guys appeared at regular ROH-run shows were run fine - the workers sit at tables, you pay the money, they sign whatever you pay for, and you leave with an acceptable photo. Every time NJPW themselves run the M&G, you hear unprofessional stuff like this.

Pre-signed stuff, no extras, and not caring about the photo quality is something I expect at a big celeb book signing, not a paid wrestling M&G event. I'm glad Ira's pics all turned out good, but he shouldn't have had to worry that if his camera was out of focus, or if the lighting washed out his face, that the company would just have told him he was SOL.

hack87
Full Fledged Mark

Post by hack87 » September 29th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Very nice photos. I read about the long delay to start the show. I thought about making the trip in until I saw the completed lineup. I don't follow NJPW closely and would have wanted to meet Okada, who wasn't doing the meet and greet, and guys who didn't come to the states for the show (Ishimori, Kojima, Tenzan). I also needed a break after going in for AAA and three events last weekend.

Kind of shady policy with not allowing you to get one of your own items signed or anything signed in front of you, as well as the no retake photo policy.

ICW, what did NJPW pull at WrestleCon? I could have gotten in line early for Tanahashi (not sure I would have bothered with anyone else). But when I came back it was a massive line and I skipped it. Two or three of the same wrestlers were signing at one of the indy shows at the convention afterward.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » September 29th, 2019, 9:54 pm

hack87 wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 9:37 pm
ICW, what did NJPW pull at WrestleCon? I could have gotten in line early for Tanahashi (not sure I would have bothered with anyone else). But when I came back it was a massive line and I skipped it. Two or three of the same wrestlers were signing at one of the indy shows at the convention afterward.
It's a long story but they basically changed the terms of the signing day-off. They advertised autograph/photo op/combo prices but, day of, they changed it to combos only. You had to wait on a long line and purchase "tickets" (8x10s of the wrestlers) for whomever you wanted, sort of like the ROH meet & greet process. It was a mess.

There's a longer story that I'd rather not get into but yeah...it was dumb.