Are you losing interest in the hobby?

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
Luke
Marked Out King

Re: Are you losing interest in the hobby?

Post by Luke » August 26th, 2019, 3:29 am

Yes and no. I started out as an 8 year old meeting mainly athletes and moved onto celebrities and wrestlers when that became a bigger part of my life. I'm 28 now so on and off collector for 20 years. I was at a signing as recently as 8 days ago but it isn't a big part of my life any more.

The reason mainly comes down to cost. Supanova (Domestically our biggest convention) was in the area last month or the month before and I was keen. They had a Mad Max reunion, Dragon Ball Z voice actors, Metal Gear Solid voice actors (A great game) and a couple of others I wanted to meet. Admittedly these people aren't that famous but most of them were $90.00 combos. I've never been a big photo guy but I did the maths on how much it'd cost to get autos from all the people I'd like to meet at the show and it was like 800 dollars for all. 5 years ago it probably would've been around half.

Elijah Wood was there doing combos for $270.00. Tickets to the show have gone up significantly, all the items are overpriced. Conventions seem like a shameless cash grab these days and it's turned me off them.

There is still value in local events and sporting franchises. My favourite rugby team did a signing last week for free and Orlando Jordan appeared in my town and did 10 dollar combos. Conventions are way too expensive though and those who are really into pop culture and modern movies/TV must spend well into thousands.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » August 26th, 2019, 12:27 pm

I agree cons can be insane in terms of prices. But I do a few things to alleviate this expense
  • Get people on the street so that there's less to get at cons (especially helpful on triple digits names)
  • Cut out autographs completely and concentrate on photo ops
  • Find alternate methods for admission
  • split and/or switcharoo photo ops
  • split combo prices with people who don't want the photo op or have multiple items
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » August 26th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Another thing I do to alleviate cost is getting a job. Has helped immensely

Joresky

Post by Joresky » August 26th, 2019, 4:00 pm

While I still enjoy the hobby my interest has waned a bit and I don't have the patience to stand at "spots" for hours on end with no guarantee as much as I used to so now I am way more selective and I try to go for names that are guaranteed or who are convenient and I have a very good chance at getting.. I figure I have so many names already that I have wanted to meet that my list is shorter so this isn't necessarily a bad thing... doing the hobby less and in a less stressful fashion allows me to enjoy it more instead of getting burned out and dreading it.. since this is a hobby and not a job for me, its important to have fun while doing this

Luke
Marked Out King

Post by Luke » September 8th, 2019, 10:16 pm

lanza218 wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 3:31 pm
Another thing I do to alleviate cost is getting a job. Has helped immensely
Even with a job it's difficult. I commented to my partner that for a young person that works casually a trip to the convention would result in them most likely having to borrow money if they were particularly huge on pop culture.

There are some who attend and get almost everyone. That can easily lead to $1000.00 - $2000.00 in expenses. Even with a high paid job most don't have 1000-2000 spare for autographs and photos.