Ronny Cox in Sterling, VA

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
16times
Marked Out King

Ronny Cox in Sterling, VA

Post by 16times » August 11th, 2019, 1:36 am

Saturday night Mrs. 16times and I made the 90 minute drive to the DC suburb of Sterling, VA to catch actor Ronny Cox's folk music show.

Cox has been in TV and movies since way back in the 70s. Most folks know him as the doomed guitar player in "Deliverance" or as the boss in "Beverly Hills Cop". According to the bio they handed out at the show, he's been in over 150 TV shows and movies, so it's a pretty good chance that most folks he encounters think they know him from somewhere.

His crowd tonight was very small, less than 50 people seated at tables around the room. Before the show Ronny Cox greeted people as they arrived and freely wandered around the room getting to know his crowd. It's always a relief to snag the photo op first thing...takes all the pressure off !

The show was probably 90% original music. Cox played guitar, and had a guy accompanying him on keyboards. He kept it lively with stories and audience interaction throughout. During intermission he worked his own merch table, and then did another set before leading everyone in a sing-a-long finale and calling it a night.

I can't see any reason 81 year old Ronny Cox does this, other than he just loves making music. This was a thoroughly enjoyable evening, and from a combo perspective, completely stress free.
Attachments
Cox.jpg
Last edited by 16times on August 12th, 2019, 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Every time you score a photo op, an angel gets his wings!"

Jason1980s
Marked Out Pro

Re: Ronny Cox in Sterling, VA

Post by Jason1980s » August 11th, 2019, 8:22 am

Very enjoyable experience. It's pretty interesting seeing someone in one entertainment industry for many years turn to a different form. I just saw him on a Diagnosis Murder a few days ago and he definitely helped make this particular episode working with Dick Van Dyke.
It's also great to hear he spoke with people before the show and he worked his own table. It seems like older celebrities will be more likely to run their own merchandise table while some of the younger ones absolutely have to rely on someone helping them.
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » August 12th, 2019, 5:26 pm

Great stuff! I Googled his name because he looked familiar and, sure enough, he played Captain Edward Jellico in Star Trek: The Next Generation, a name I'd definitely be interested in meeting.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » August 12th, 2019, 5:42 pm

I saw Ronny last year in a tiny setting as well, what a great guy. His songs were really heartfelt and clever, and I really enjoyed it myself. If anyone's curious, he puts his tour up on this website, although it's often fairly off the beaten path.

https://www.ronnycox.com/shows/

PS: For those wondering why he does tiny shows like this? Well, it's traditional with folk musicians, but also, there's no promoter usually involved, so with CD sales and all, the artist actually makes more or equal money as if they played for 500 people in a theater.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » August 13th, 2019, 8:21 am

Awesome shot man!