Ron Guidry - Rochester, NY

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Travis
Learning To Mark Out

Ron Guidry - Rochester, NY

Post by Travis » July 11th, 2019, 8:30 pm

My son, Miles, and I arrived at 5:55 p.m. for the 6 to 7:30 p.m. signing. A key member of the 1978 championship team, Ron was 25-3 with a 1.74 ERA that year. By ERA+, it is the 34th-best season by a starting pitcher of all time.

The line was really long, and I had visions of standing there until the end just to get to Ron's table. A double-edge sword emerged, however. The line moved *really* quickly, and I knew that meant the Red Wings were not allowing photos. I was OK with that, given the size of the crowd. What surprised me, though, was how little Ron was interacting with the fans. Almost not at all. I know from other reports that he is a nice guy, so I explained to my son that Ron must be staying focused on signing autographs for as many fans as possible.

So, we hatched a plan. We watched as people had their items signed and said nothing, and how Ron looked up at almost no one. It was easy for him to do, because the GM of the Red Wings was handing him everything that was to be signed. Miles and I agreed I would ask a quick question, and he would extend his hand afterward to say thanks. As we approached the table, Ron signed my poster and Cooperstown bat featuring the 1978 Yankees in the light blue deco marker I brought. Everything else that I saw signed was in blue Sharpie that he had at his table.

I said, "Ron, who was faster, you or Mickey Rivers?" I hoped this question would catch his interest, because rumor long has had it that Guidry was the fastest player on the team. In fact, he was used as a pinch-runner a number of times. Ron looked up - yes! - and said, "That depends." I thought he was done speaking, but he was just pausing to think. He continued: "If it's 50 yards, it was Mickey. If it was 100 yards, it was me."

Jackpot - memory created! My son extended his hand and said, "Thanks, nice to meet you," and we were finished with this adventure.

Greg2600

Re: Ron Guidry - Rochester, NY

Post by Greg2600 » July 17th, 2019, 12:30 am

Ron IS a nice guy, but at least you got a little something extra out of him.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: Ron Guidry - Rochester, NY

Post by WOODMO » July 17th, 2019, 12:38 am

Excellent pieces and story!