Niagara Falls Comic Con - The Undertaker, The Office, and Christopher Lloyd!

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Travis
Learning To Mark Out

Niagara Falls Comic Con - The Undertaker, The Office, and Christopher Lloyd!

Post by Travis » July 8th, 2019, 12:59 pm

In June, my family and I made the 90-minute trek from our Rochester, NY, home to Niagara Falls, Ontario, for Niagara Falls Comic Con. The trip was easier than usual because we hit the border crossing at the perfect time. We crossed in less than 60 seconds, which has to be a world record of some sort. (In the past, we have idled at the border for as long as an hour.)

Niagara Falls Comic Con will celebrate its 10th anniversary next year. We have been to a number of them. It's typically well run and fun for everyone involved. This year was no exception. We had only one day to spend at this con, so we were limited in who we could see. I think we made the most of it!

The crowds were quite large on Sunday, the last of the three-day event, because of a rare appearance by The Undertaker. This was possible only because there was a brief window where he was a free agent and booked several shows, including Starrcast in Las Vegas. WWE soon signed him to a new contract and those bookings mostly went away - except perhaps for this one. Such an opportunity! What made it especially interesting was that The Undertaker took part in a much-maligned (and quite dangerous) match with Goldberg in Saudi Arabia just two days before he was scheduled to be in Niagara Falls. There was some concern that he might not show because of injury, embarrassment, or exhaustion, but to his great credit, he was a man of his word.

The crowd for The Undertaker was simply unbelievable. We're talking many, many hundreds of people waiting in both the autograph and photo-op lines. As we waited, we were told by staff that we would have seven seconds each to pose for our photo! Wow! Turns out, they weren't kidding. I think they really oversold this one. It was the fastest photo op I've ever been a part of, faster than even Hulk Hogan at the original Wrestlecon. We also were instructed not to shake hands with The Undertaker so the line would keep moving, which bummed me out, so I was relieved that when our turn came, The Undertaker shook OUR hands! Quickly, obviously, but he made a concerted effort to make the brief interaction count, and others have said the same. Just shaking The Undertaker's hand, looking into his eyes, knowing how much bigger he is than me, and having what I think is a tremendous photo result made all of the waiting worth it!

When The Undertaker photo op concluded, the room - which had been filled with sheer humanity for 90 minutes - cleared out quickly. Then, it was time for my three kids to have their "The Office Reunion" photo op with Kate Flannery, Oscar Nunez, and Creed Bratton. My kids started to shake hands with the three stars, but the photographer interrupted for the photo. To their great credit, The Office members continued the handshakes with them afterward, making it a point to connect personally with each of them. This led to some fun banter between my daughter (in the Schrute Farms shirt) and Creed, who was just as charming as you might hope in real life. A great photo and good experience! Now we will work on getting canvases of this photo op signed during the next year or so. "Stanley" is coming to Rochester this month, and I'd love to have him sign it with a message such as, "Thanks for not inviting me to the reunion."

Our final photo-op was at closing time. I spent a few minutes at the ticket booth - at the encouraging of the woman who was assisting at Christopher Lloyd's table - asking for special permission to have all five of my family members in a photo with him. Typically, the pro-op limit is three people plus the celebrity. They agreed and wrote a special note on my ticket! As we approached the DeLorean - with Christopher Lloyd seated in it! - I looked at him and said, "Hi, Doc!" He smiled broadly, and I thought those few seconds were magical. Great Scott! I am very pleased with this photo op, as well. Seeing my son turn around as he got up from his position in the photo and saying, "It was really nice to meet you" just made me happy. Who would have thought that when I watched this movie when I was my son's age in 1985, I would have the opportunity to bring him and my family to such an event almost 35 years later? (As an aside, while two kids and I were waiting for The Undertaker, my wife and daughter enjoyed a 40-minute panel session with Christopher.)

We look forward to returning to Niagara Falls Comic Con next June and plan to make it a three-day weekend. There is too much to see and do to fit into one (or even two) days anymore, which is a credit to the organizers. We hope that Cary Elwes, who canceled 48 hours before the show, will return to meet fans then. If you haven't been to NFCC, I encourage you to give it a try!

yosemitechris
Marked Out King

Re: Niagara Falls Comic Con - The Undertaker, The Office, and Christopher Lloyd!

Post by yosemitechris » July 8th, 2019, 2:50 pm

WOW, those photos are great! congrats on meeting the undertaker, but i love the christopher Lloyd even more, very cool.

lanza218
Site Admin

Re: Niagara Falls Comic Con - The Undertaker, The Office, and Christopher Lloyd!

Post by lanza218 » July 8th, 2019, 11:55 pm

Love the ops!!!

luiginyc84
Marked Out Pro

Post by luiginyc84 » July 9th, 2019, 12:03 am

Great stuff. The Office cast is next on my list of wants. I know what you mean about Undertaker. I met him at Wizard World Chicago 4 years ago. I purposely bought a VIP Pass for him knowing it would be a huge turnout. The photo op line went similar to yours and the autograph line was a painfully long wait, but well worth it once you meet him. Your photo with him came out great!
My Photo Ops / Autographs Collection
https://www.flickr.com/photos/luiginyc84/albums

16times
Marked Out King

Post by 16times » July 9th, 2019, 9:14 am

I thoroughly enjoyed your report. You have an enthusiasm level I can relate to !
"Every time you score a photo op, an angel gets his wings!"

Travis
Learning To Mark Out

Post by Travis » July 9th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It's so neat to be able to share this stuff with people who care and understand why these experiences are so meaningful!

A note on the Christopher Lloyd photo: Someone was selling reprints of the Back to the Future newspapers, so I bought a copy because I thought it would look cool in the picture. Also note I am wearing a Huey Lewis and the News shirt, a tribute to my favorite band and one that helped make the movie a success.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » July 9th, 2019, 12:36 pm

HLN are the best
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » July 9th, 2019, 12:42 pm

What a great report and great photo ops!
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/