Corbin Bernsen - Rochester, NY

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Travis
Learning To Mark Out

Corbin Bernsen - Rochester, NY

Post by Travis » July 5th, 2019, 2:54 pm

We have chased many neat adventures in the northeastern United States lately, but in late June, the fun came to us in Rochester, NY! Corbin Bernsen appeared at Frontier Field - home of the Minnesota Twin's AAA team, the Rochester Red Wings - to celebrate the 30th anniversary of “Major League!” We also love Corbin from his work on “Psych.”

We met Corbin last year at Nickel City Con for about 20 seconds, as my wife and three kids (four max per picture allowed) got a great pro op with him. We have made great use of that photo, even putting it on our Christmas card! Here in Rochester, events during baseball season typically are free, but there was an extra charge for Corbin - $10 for a signature or photo, or $15 for both. I found this to be extremely reasonable. We ended up getting two canvases, a baseball, a bat, and three other photos signed.

As we watched people meet with Corbin, we noticed that they were spending about 20 to 30 seconds with him. Many were not saying much, perhaps because they are not used to meeting celebrities - maybe in awe? When our party of five got up to his table, I immediately engaged him in small talk as he signed out items. Among the memorable lines: When I handed him a black bat, I asked him to autograph it with "Dorn 24." He laughed as I said, "Sign it big, like you're a celebrity."

I also handed him an official Major League baseball and asked him to sign it the same way. He smiled and asked, "You don't want the other?" The "other" is a reference to his famous line in "Major League," in which he tells Charlie Sheen to "strike this MFer out." Maybe because there was an extra charge, but he signed everything with inscriptions if asked. Typically, the Red Wings' management discourages this and hurries the line.

I explained to Corbin that my son is only 12, so we would go with "Dorn 24" on the baseball. That led me to ask him, "What age do you think would be appropriate to show my son that movie? He's dying to see it."

To my great surprise, Corbin took the question to heart. "Because of the language, right?" He looked at my son and said, "You've heard bad words before. Just because you hear those words, that doesn't mean YOU have to use them. So I'd say don't hide from the world. But don't change who you are, either." He gave it even more thought, thinking back to when his kids were young. He said he didn't remember his kids using profanity. He called his wife, who was standing nearby, over to the table. "Honey, our kids didn't swear until they were in their twenties, right?" He mentioned that his mother was the family swearer, and I told him that we used to watch her every day growing up. She played the well-known character of Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless." He smiled broadly at that. I remember reading that they were very close.

I was so impressed with this interaction - we got four full minutes because he was talking to us so personally! By the time we were done, Corbin and I agreed that we will show my son "Major League" when we celebrate his 13th birthday this coming winter! What a great memory this all will be! (And that is the point of these meet-and-greets, right?)

We were big Corbin Bernsen fans before this, but this experience has made us like him even more.

Picture quality is a bit downgraded here because I pulled these off of Facebook, but they will give you a flavor!

WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: Corbin Bernsen - Rochester, NY

Post by WOODMO » July 5th, 2019, 8:27 pm

These are some great shots!!!

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » July 5th, 2019, 10:40 pm

Great story and pics! Welcome to the board.

Jason1980s
Marked Out Pro

Post by Jason1980s » July 7th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Great report. It's good you had some quality time with him but you show that it's what you put into it. I see so many autograph reports where a fan is disappointed in the celebrity but it's usually because they don't attempt to engage the person or if they do it's something the signer has been asked many times before.
It's good to know Corbin is a cool guy. His Psych character shows that he can be a great actor but also doesn't have to take himself too seriously over anyone else. He was the legend among a lot of newcomers in that show and he put himself all the way in the background so the other stars could get "over" so to speak. It's interesting he had his wife with him. Usually the ones who bring their spouses are ones that are more engaging with the fans. The event is not just a pay check to them, they use the travel time to enjoy things with their spouse before and after the shows.
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart

Travis
Learning To Mark Out

Post by Travis » July 8th, 2019, 10:45 am

Thanks, everyone, for the kind comments. It is a pleasure to share our experiences with people that care!

Jason, you hit the nail on the head with your response. This really resonated with me: "I see so many autograph reports where a fan is disappointed in the celebrity but it's usually because they don't attempt to engage the person..."

YES! Sometimes, people tell me they say saw a celebrity and "the person just looked bored, like they didn't want to be there, it was disappointing." Engaging them is so important in this context. Every time we have a better experience than other people, I point it out to my kids. It isn't because we are so amazing, it's because we try! I often say to my kids after a meet-and-greet, "Did you see how excited he got when we asked XYZ?" or "Did you see how much more he enjoyed talking to us because we asked XYZ?" And, yes, asking a question they haven't been asked 100 times that day helps.

I also love your wrestling analogy about how Bernsen helps to get over younger talent. I hadn't thought about it that way, but it is perfect.

Jason1980s
Marked Out Pro

Post by Jason1980s » July 8th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Travis wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 10:45 am
YES! Sometimes, people tell me they say saw a celebrity and "the person just looked bored, like they didn't want to be there, it was disappointing." Engaging them is so important in this context. Every time we have a better experience than other people, I point it out to my kids. It isn't because we are so amazing, it's because we try! I often say to my kids after a meet-and-greet, "Did you see how excited he got when we asked XYZ?" or "Did you see how much more he enjoyed talking to us because we asked XYZ?" And, yes, asking a question they haven't been asked 100 times that day helps.
This is very accurate to most signings I've been too. I know some things can be pretty rushed for a major signing but for walk up business at conventions, it's more accurate in getting a good experience. A good example I've seen more so at wrestling signings is that many wrestlers do not care to talk about wrestling with the fans but would appreciate a brief conversation about local hot spots or hobbies etc...
A wrestler enjoys shooting the crap with their buddies, the guys who they went through the wars with or they will talk wrestling with promoters paying them for shoot interviews. They enjoy chatting with the fans about local scenery or hobbies they may have or even bad habits like alcohol or marijuana as goofy as that sounds. If you go to enough shows, especially wrestling, you will see a fan ask a wrestling question and the wrestler almost immediately hustles up the transaction.
I wish some of the really nice old time ball players were still alive for them to share some cool moments with your son.
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » July 8th, 2019, 11:54 pm

He is awesome!

Travis
Learning To Mark Out

Post by Travis » July 9th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Jason, thanks for the reply. In response to your comment about old-time ballplayers, we have a lot of fun with those, too. Every Memorial Day weekend, we go to Cooperstown and meet all sorts of players, from run-of-the-mill retirees to Hall of Famers. It's an absolutely amazing time for a baseball fan.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » July 9th, 2019, 4:45 pm

Great story!
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/