Mony Mony! The Truth is Out of the Ballpark!

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Greg2600

Mony Mony! The Truth is Out of the Ballpark!

Post by Greg2600 » June 14th, 2019, 9:37 pm

You know, over the years, despite being a fan of his old school hits, and living in North Jersey forever, I somehow never bumped into Tommy James, of The Shondells. I’ve always heard he’s super nice. Every once in a blue moon I will pop into Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ, to trade in some old CD’s or LP’s and look for others. Traditionally their “live acts” have been more for metal fans though. Anyway, Tommy just released a new CD primarily of remixes and new takes on his classic songs. He worked with rapper Tone-Z, who has also written some TV themes like for Justified on FX. For the price of his CD, $16.99, I got a wristband, while also picking up a greatest hits CD for $5. I took my mom, who swore that Tommy played at her prom (he didn’t). He spoke a while and was super funny. For those who don’t know, Tommy also has a book called Me, the Mob, and the Music, that came out like 10 years ago. Unbeknownst to him, he was signed to the infamous Roulette Records label, which was a mob front, and involved in quite a bit of blood back in the 70’s. He then signed for everyone and took pictures.

Flickr Album - Tommy James

The next morning I caught a 9AM flight to Chicago for The X-Fest 2, featuring a number of The X-Files guest stars and partial series regulars. The main wants for me were the Lone Gunmen (Dean Haglund, Bruce Harwood, Tom Braidwood), who haven’t appeared together at a con in ages. Apparently Dean just moved back to Michigan from Australia, which likely made this possible. The con honestly was over-priced, but given what it was, that isn’t surprising. I took the CTA train to the bus and that took me right to the hotel, very easy and cheap. The hotel was a fairly nice, small one, and I went right in. The turnout couldn’t have been more than 50 people. However, even with a VIP line and people talking and talking, the lines moved fast. Braidwood had a short line, so I got him first, followed by Harwood after a bit of a wait. I then got Larry Musser, who had a tiny yet somewhat beloved/pivotal role in the early seasons of Sliders. Fourth one was Jeff Gulka, who played Gibson Praise on X-Files. Each guy was really nice to talk with, and that helped pass the time. I then got into Haglund’s line, and was fortunate to get him minutes before he went on lunch break, because he wouldn’t have been back for another hour or so after that ended due to pro ops and whatnot. He completed a comic book I picked up cheap which featured the Lone Gunmen on it. I also tried to do some “fish bowl” style selfies with the guys, but they looked awful on my cellphone. LOL.

I walked to the Olive Garden across the street and got salad and soup, then came back. I went to Chris Owens, aka Agent Jeffrey Spender, next, and had a great chat. Ironically someone I know spotted him at Tribeca years ago, but we lost him in the crowd, then he seemingly never left the after party. He confirmed that he was in fact there! He was so impressed by that, despite me only paying for the pic, he handed me an 8x10 too. Again, super nice guy. Then I chatted with Frank Spotnitz, writer and co-creator of so many Chris Carter projects. Primarily we talked about The Man In the High Castle though, as he founded that show too. I had him sign my poster. Lastly, I met another nice bloke, Mark Snow, the composer of the series, who brilliantly created the eerie theme music. I picked up a CD off ebay cheap and had him sign that. Annabeth Gish and Mitch Pileggi, who I ran into in the hallway, and a couple others were there, but I had them already or didn’t care to pay. Ironically the final X-Files celeb I need remains creator Chris Carter, who I had zero luck with a few years ago in NYC.

Braidwood

Harwood

Haglund

Comic being signed

ImageImageImage

Goofy selfies
ImageImageImage

Gulka

Musser

Owens

Spotnitz

Snow

"The Enigma"

Mitch sighting

I hopped on the bus again, and headed downtown, next on the L train. I stopped at a spot that is actually owned by a celebrity but she was not present unfortunately. After that, back on the train, where I got off and enjoyed my first ever ball game at the immortal Wrigley Field, this time the great rivalry of the Cubs and Cardinals. I really was taken aback by how well the Cubs refurbished the stadium yet kept the same look and feel. It’s something the Yankees should have down before demolishing the most famous sporting venue in the Western world, to be replaced by the most impersonal sports venue in the world. Sadly, I could only stay for barely half the game, as I had to get back to the airport to depart at 9:30PM. The Blue Line had some type of maintenance, which would have taken forever, so I was forced to get a Lyft ride back to O’Hare.

Flickr Cubs Album

Image Image Image Image

The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

crossfire
Marked Out Pro

Re: Mony Mony! The Truth is Out of the Ballpark!

Post by crossfire » June 15th, 2019, 7:59 am

Great stuff. Love x files.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » June 15th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Awesome stuff. This looked like a great trip

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » June 16th, 2019, 12:36 am

If the turnout was only 50 people surely somebody took a huge loss?
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

Joresky

Post by Joresky » June 17th, 2019, 8:49 am

Very cool stuff... awesome gets with the rare X-Files names :like: