Chris Jericho: I told Conrad a month ago that I had to cancel the live Talk is Jericho at Starrcast

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
ICW
Marked Out Master

Chris Jericho: I told Conrad a month ago that I had to cancel the live Talk is Jericho at Starrcast

Post by ICW » May 31st, 2019, 10:36 am

ICYMI: Starrcast announced on Sunday morning - the day after Double or Nothing - that Chris Jericho had cancelled his scheduled Talk is Jericho appearance at Starrcast. The kayfabe reasoning was that Jericho cancelled after he didn't receive the "thank you" from AEW and AEW fans for what he's done for the company.

Today's WON, however, has some more details on why this was cancelled -- and when Jericho told Conrad Thompson that he couldn't do it:
Chris Jericho was advertised to do a live Talk is Jericho show at Starrcast on 5/26, but wasn’t there. They put out a cardboard cutout of Jericho in its place before telling people he wasn’t there. According to Jericho, he had canceled the booking a month ago and told Conrad Thompson, due to finding out the event was going to air on Fite TV as part of their iPPV package. He said that they continued to advertise him after he had already said he wasn’t doing the show. Thompson hasn’t said anything about what happened.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Re: Chris Jericho: I told Conrad a month ago that I had to cancel the live Talk is Jericho at Starrcast

Post by AJLe » May 31st, 2019, 11:06 am

I had assumed that Jericho just partied too hard after DoN and wasn't feeling "in condition to perform" on Sunday, but if this is true it's very shady business on Conrad's part.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Re: Chris Jericho: I told Conrad a month ago that I had to cancel the live Talk is Jericho at Starrcast

Post by ICW » May 31st, 2019, 4:51 pm

Here's a story via F4W:

Conrad Thompson, who produced last weekend's Starrcast convention, indicated that he didn't know Chris Jericho wouldn't be appearing at the event until May 24th, two days before his "Talk Is Jericho" appearance was scheduled to take place.

Thompson noted he got a text message from Jericho on Friday afternoon before his announced Sunday afternoon appearance that stated that he couldn't come due to family plans.

Jericho had previously said that he had given the word one month ago that he wasn't doing the show due to finding out his segment would be airing on iPPV through FITE TV.

Jericho said they agreed he would show up before the crowd with an in-character rant on the fans where he would say he wasn't doing a Talk is Jericho show because he didn't get a thank you at Double or Nothing. But, he said he found out he had family plans for Sunday that he couldn't change and sent in a video instead, saying basically the same thing as he would have said had he appeared live.

"It's not Conrad's fault I didn't make an appearance," Jericho said. "That's all on me. But, the live Talk is Jericho was never happening."

Thompson said Jericho wanted to do an angle at the appearance and they would figure it out that weekend what that would entail, but then on Friday, he sent the text and a video instead.

"We want back and forth, but in the end, he had no choice," said Thompson.

Thompson said he sent in a video to explain not being there, but the video couldn't air until after Double or Nothing was over since it talked about the result of the match with Kenny Omega in past tense as well as the post-match interview.

"I couldn't exactly post that ahead of DON even though I had it hours before," said Thompson.

When the Talk is Jericho show was scheduled to start, fans were in attendance and they were told that Jericho wasn't there and a cardboard cutout of Jericho was brought out instead.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » May 31st, 2019, 6:11 pm

Still sounds shady - by that, it appears that Conrad still knew well ahead of time that there would be no live broadcast, but thought that Jericho would do the angle to "cancel" it in person. Instead, he found out on Friday that Jericho would do the angle via video. Either way, it sounds like Conrad knew there would be no live TIJ for a while, but waited until the last minute to the the cancellation angle. Still sounds carny.

Jason1980s
Marked Out Pro

Post by Jason1980s » May 31st, 2019, 7:27 pm

Chris Jericho has changed for the crazy over the last few years, he's holding so tight to a kayfabe that died like 20 years ago that everything he does or says in the real world you just never know if it's him playing or speaking in reality. Having met him a few times since 1997 and followed his career from WCW to WWF, it kind of disappoints me how he's been the last few years.
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » June 7th, 2019, 11:10 pm

He has legit hatred now so good for him