Houston Comicpalooza 2019 aka Almost Solo meeting the Mother of Dragons - A TR Production

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
MrTonyRuben
Marked Out Pro

Houston Comicpalooza 2019 aka Almost Solo meeting the Mother of Dragons - A TR Production

Post by MrTonyRuben » May 13th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Here’s a report I’d never thought I’d write for two reasons: 1.) I’ve never been to Texas before and never felt the urge to go there for a vacation or a convention. 2.) I never thought that my big want from one of my favorite TV shows would ever do a convention at all from everything I heard about them on the street. Well, everything fell into place at the exact right time as Emilia Clarke was announced as the headlining guest for Houston Comicpalooza. I had that weekend off from work, had the money at the time to purchase the tickets and speed pass, which worked out because she sold out in 2 hours after her tickets went on sale and also had someone to split the cost of a hotel room with; a friendly former board member here.

After flying down on Friday from DC, I made my way to the hotel, which was connected to the big convention center via skywalk. Friend showed up a couple hours later and then we hit the comic con floor. After about an hour of checking out different vendors, taking photos and looking at the autograph and photo op area to try to plan for the main day, we bumped into Ming Chen from Comic Book Men, who was chatting with the event staff. When he finished, we chatted with him for a bit. He mentioned that he was just talking about Seinfeld after he noticed me wearing my Seinfeld shirt. He was very nice and took a free photo with us.

Afterwards, I lined up for a dual pro photo op with WWE Hall Of Famers, Trish Stratus & Lita. The line ran moved smoothly and the photo came out great.

I went straight to their autograph lines next. First was Trish. We all had a good chat about random stuff and with some help, I got an extra table op because Trish asked “Are we taking a photo?” and I said yes.

ImageImage

Next was Lita’s line. Another great chat; she mentioned that she also liked my shirt and we randomly talked about Seinfeld and her past appearances. I probably could have pushed for the extra photo as well, but the helper specifically wrote autograph only, so I didn’t press my luck.

After that, we were done for the day and left to rest for a bit and grabbed a meal close by.

For Saturday, I showed up early to the con to get a good seat for the Game Of Thrones panel with Emilia & Nathalie Emmanuel. I normally don’t go to panels anymore, but this one interested me obviously. It also helped that the only other person I considered getting at the con around that time was Wilmer Valderrama, but he wasn’t doing table photos. His pro op conflicted with Emilia’s autograph time, so I didn’t bother and enjoyed the panel. Both Nathalie & Emilia seemed to be having a good time, which was good to see her enjoying this portion of her debut experience. I took some pics and a bad video during it.

Once the panel ended, I headed down to the photo op area to knock out the photo op with Emilia. Now the setup for her photo op was similar to a lot of recent high profile guest; there was a metal detector setup prior to the entrance and you were given a little ticket wheel number after your QR code was scanned to give to the person inside the room for the photo. It’s a bit extreme, but I get it. They went out of there way to make her as comfortable as possible and to not oversell for her. The photo ops did run smoothly though. She greeted everyone and seemed to be enjoying herself. I got my photo and was extremely happy with the result!

I lined up again in the photo op area for Nathalie Emmanuel. Her line went quickly and she was just as pleasant too and got another good photo.

At this point it was about a little over an hour before Emilia would start signing. I used my speed pass and lined up so I can be one of the early ones to get through. While waiting, I ended up chatting with someone who was from DC. After talking a bit, we both realized we both had a friend in common...MO member Joresky! Such a small world. Anywho, the line started to move and yes, there was another metal detector setup before you entered her closed off autograph booth. This time, they would only allow your wallet and the items you were getting signed. Nothing else was allowed in the autograph area. Despite these rules, the signing went smoothly. She seemed a little overwhelmed, but I managed to get her to laugh and compliment my “Hand of the Queen” tattoo simply by saying “Thank you, my Queen” whilst pointing to it. With that, had one final person to get.

ImageImage

Had to wait another hour because he was on break, but Dan Fogler arrived back at the time that they said he would. Dan was very nice, I told him I’ve been a fan since Fanboys and he thanked me for that. Got a Fanboy picture autographed, took a photo at the table and with that, I was finished with the convention!

ImageImage

Overall, I did enjoy my time there, though I was not particularly fond of the outlining neighborhoods to the convention center. I’m just glad I was able to meet my top want this year! With this, I hope everyone enjoys the report. See you all next time!

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Re: Houston Comicpalooza 2019 aka Almost Solo meeting the Mother of Dragons - A TR Production

Post by djknightrida » May 13th, 2019, 10:54 pm

Know this meant a lot to you. Congrats and great pic.
2017 Most Unique Photo Winner

:dj:

MrTonyRuben
Marked Out Pro

Re: Houston Comicpalooza 2019 aka Almost Solo meeting the Mother of Dragons - A TR Production

Post by MrTonyRuben » May 15th, 2019, 12:04 pm

djknightrida wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 10:54 pm
Know this meant a lot to you. Congrats and great pic.
Thanks, DJ! Appreciate it

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » May 17th, 2019, 4:55 pm

Emilia's stature certainly qualifies for the :bigday:
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

Joresky

Post by Joresky » May 20th, 2019, 8:49 am

Awesome photos! Congrats!!

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » May 27th, 2019, 6:06 pm

MrTonyRuben wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 8:12 pm
because she sold out in 2 hours after her tickets went on sale
Wow even Stallone at NYCC didn't sell out that fast. Is this a new record for guest sell out at a con?
Wilmer Valderrama, but he wasn’t doing table photos.
Wow. Sickening times we live in when Wilder doesn't do table ops.
lot of recent high profile guest; there was a metal detector
I don't recall any high profile guests requiring metal detectors. That being said I hope she does more cons.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » May 27th, 2019, 8:28 pm

class316 wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 6:06 pm
I don't recall any high profile guests requiring metal detectors. That being said I hope she does more cons.
Gal Gadot????
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

MrTonyRuben
Marked Out Pro

Post by MrTonyRuben » May 28th, 2019, 7:08 am

class316 wrote:
As Greg mentioned, Gal Gadot for ACE, Tom Holland the previous year at Comicpalooza and John Boyega when he did Awesome Con are the ones I knew about beforehand.
Joresky wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 8:49 am
Awesome photos! Congrats!!
Greg2600 wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 4:55 pm
Emilia's stature certainly qualifies for the :bigday:

Thanks, guys!

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » May 29th, 2019, 9:23 am

class316 wrote:
MrTonyRuben wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 8:12 pm
because she sold out in 2 hours after her tickets went on sale
Wow even Stallone at NYCC didn't sell out that fast. Is this a new record for guest sell out at a con?
Wilmer Valderrama, but he wasn’t doing table photos.
Wow. Sickening times we live in when Wilder doesn't do table ops.
You didn’t get Emilia when I did? She did it in NYC every night for months.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » May 29th, 2019, 9:24 am

On topic of report this is awesome. Excellent lineup and everything looks great

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » May 29th, 2019, 11:17 pm

WOODMO wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 9:23 am

You didn’t get Emilia when I did? She did it in NYC every night for months.
We go through this every time there's a name that was "easy" over 7 years ago. Once upon a time I didn't do as much as I didn't discover the feasibility and practically of car sleep. That's why I also don't have James Gandolfini and had to pay for Justin Long.

Once I figured out car sleep, everything changed. Of course, people still mock me for car sleep. But while I'm being mocked my credit card has less debt and my memory card has more jpegs. So that suits me just fine.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » June 1st, 2019, 3:25 pm

Cleaned up! Amazing stuff!
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/