A look at the hobby in the 90s

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
CactusB

Re: A look at the hobby in the 90s

Post by CactusB » June 11th, 2019, 6:44 pm

ICW wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 10:30 am
---
3/30/98
Dave reports on Jersey All Pro Wrestling's convention in Newark that featured Austin as the headliner. The convention drew more than 2,100 fans. Other names at this convention: Yokozuna and Lou Albano. Austin had a line that wouldn't end as autograph photos were only $20.

I'd LOVE to hear from someone who went to this convention

--
I was at that one, as well as the one with the Horsemen and Savage (where he claims Savage only drew 100), as well as every other event mentioned here that took place in the northeast.

What do you want to hear?

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » June 11th, 2019, 7:14 pm

CactusB wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 6:44 pm

I was at that one, as well as the one with the Horsemen and Savage (where he claims Savage only drew 100), as well as every other event mentioned here that took place in the northeast.

Only everything. How about a flashback report
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » June 11th, 2019, 8:11 pm

CactusB wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 6:44 pm
ICW wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 10:30 am
---
3/30/98
Dave reports on Jersey All Pro Wrestling's convention in Newark that featured Austin as the headliner. The convention drew more than 2,100 fans. Other names at this convention: Yokozuna and Lou Albano. Austin had a line that wouldn't end as autograph photos were only $20.

I'd LOVE to hear from someone who went to this convention

--

Man, I'd love to hear about your entire experience. Did you meet the Horsemen and Savage? Any pics?
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » June 11th, 2019, 10:32 pm

Jason1980s wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 1:51 pm
Here's some photos from a July 1998 show from New Jersey with Adam West and Frank Gorshin.
Also a neat one with Frank Gorshin at Ox Baker's table, not sure what they're talking about. I wonder if it was Batman or wrestling related.
Love those!!!!!
ICW wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 2:42 pm
Listening to an old Stern show from October 1999.

Gary and Stuttering John appeared at a convention in Georgia. They were free autographs.

Michael Buffer was $15
Pamela Anderson was $150 for 1 autograph and another $150 for a photo op
Magic Johnson was $150 for an autograph (unknown about photo op)
Wow, 1999 vintage Pam!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

CactusB

Post by CactusB » June 11th, 2019, 10:38 pm

ICW wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 8:11 pm

Man, I'd love to hear about your entire experience. Did you meet the Horsemen and Savage? Any pics?
It was 20 years ago. I remember the dumbest things about these shows. I have pics, most aren't scanned. None are being posted here ;)

The March 1998 show had Austin, Yokozuna, Afa, Sika, Lou Albano, Chris Candido, Tammy, Paul Heyman, and a plethora of other wrestlers I can't recall. It couldn't have cost more than $10 to get in. Most wrestlers were not more than $20 a combo. I'm pretty sure Austin was the most expensive, maybe $25 tops. Austin's line never ended. I got at least 5 figures signed by him and maybe paid for 2-3. Yoko barely had a line. Capt. Lou was introducing Afa to his brother Sika. It was all ridiculously surreal.

The August 1999 show was at Crowne Plaza in Secaucus, NJ. The convention had Randy Macho Man Savage, Georgous George, Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Ole Anderson, JJ Dillion, Dawn Marie, New Jack, The Iron Sheik and every indy wrestler that was working for JAPW or in the NY/NJ area. I would think this one didn't cost more than $10-15 to get in. (I knew Frank, the promoter, and I think he comped me).

I didn't get Savage at this show because I had already gotten him at a KMart opening in Bohemia (with Miss Elizabeth) and at an appearance he made, at a hotel near JFK (with Chet Coppock), prior. (It was some ridiculously small card show. Savage was there one day, Shawn Michaels was there the next. Savage was PHENOMENAL. Michaels only looked up if you were young, and female).

I remember the Four Horsemen line was LONG and moved slow. They had Ole first, and he took forever. He took time to make sure every person who came to get him knew how miserable he was to be there and how much he hated Flair. It was Ole! It's what he does. It's why fans love him. Arn was his usual miserable self. JJ and Tully were fine. Flair was fine, but rushed. I don't think the whole group cost more than $100-150 and that included an 11x17 photo they would all sign, a photo with each (if you wanted), and an autograph on one of your own items.

They had matches as well. I seem to recall a lot of people were still on line for Savage and the Horsemen as the matches began.

Both JAPW conventions were great, for me, as I cleaned up on sigs/photos. They were no John Arezzi's Weekend of Champions, but they were fun since there hadn't been anything like it since Arezzi left, and Tommy Fierro's Fan Slam conventions wouldn't start for a few more years.

Wow. I wrote a lot more than I expected to. lol

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » June 11th, 2019, 10:59 pm

Great memories! I wish I could recall half the people who were at card shows we had a table at. Unfortunately we'd slowed down a lot by '99. We also stuck to North Jersey though ventured a bit west and central sometimes. I really don't remember many wrestlers if at all. Heavy on local sports stars. I will say I went to who knows how many private signings at Crowne Plaza Secaucus though! I have to really wonder if my 1999 self would have even considered that show with Savage and the Horsemen? My long-time best friend and I were life long Macho Man diehards, so maybe if I'd told him, and he went, I might have.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » June 12th, 2019, 2:53 pm

Thanks for sharing those experiences!

I'm going to try and dive in the 00s. Early returns came up pretty empty, though, so no guarantees it will be as nugget-filled as the 90s post.

Glad you guys seem to like this!
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » June 12th, 2019, 2:59 pm

I used to have STACKS of Beckett and Tuff Stuff magazines, which were useless after a new edition came out, but would have been cool to see some of the old print ads again. Many of them were for NE card shows.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » June 12th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Here's some tidbits via the WON from the year 2000:

5/1/00:
The Rock did a benefit autograph signing for the late Gary Albright prior to his first memorial show while ECW sent Rob Van Dam to sign autographs as he couldn’t work due to injury. Some of the wrestlers to appear on the show though unclear if they signed: WWF’s Scotty 2 Hotty, Stevie Richards, Head Bangers, Kaientai, Road Dogg, Eddy Guerrero, Chris Jericho and Rikishi; WCW’s Crowbar, and All Japan Pro Wrestling’s Too Cold Scorpio, Steve Williams, Johnny Smith and Maunukea Mossman.
6/12/00
Bruno Sammartino advertised his LAST APPEARANCE at a pro wrestling show on 6/17 in Hamburg for Pennsylvania Championship Wrestling. He was scheduled to sign autographs
6/26/00
Foley was doing autograph signings non-stop (though he just shaved his head and looked really different)
Foley is still doing non-stop autograph signings

7/24/00
Funny incident where XPW "invaded" an ECW show. Fans had no clue who most of them were but gradually approached them for combos as the show went on
8/7/00
The Superstars of Wrestling tour of Australia was nearly unraveled thanks to Dennis Rodman. He missed an autograph signing and a whole bunch of other media appearances because he was too busy partying.

Somewhat of a funny story: Bret Hart appeared at an autograph session in the West Edmonton Mall; specifically, he appeared at a handgun shooting range and that infuriated the anti-handgun lobbyists from Alberta. Ted Nugent also appeared at this signing and was, well, typical Ted Nuggent and the media ended up lumping Hart and him together. Hart thought he was just doing a typical signing.

8/14/00
Who received the last ever autograph from Gordon Solie? It was Hall of Famer (and 1996 World Series Champion) Wade Boggs! Boggs was a huge fan of Solie and met him a short time before he passed away. Solie's son claims that Boggs received the last ever autograph from his dad. Pretty neat if ture.
9/11/00
Dave notes that WCW was disappointed that more fans didn't appear during Goldberg's autograph sessions in England.
10/16/00
Dave reports on the infamous incident involving Juventud Guerrera. Juvy stripped himself naked, threw chairs, and was screaming like a mad man (and threatening to kill himself) in front of fellow wrestlers, hotel patrons, and...autograph seekers
Imagine one of you guys trying to stalk and mooch at a hotel and the celebrity goes ape shit like that?

11/6/00
Davey Boy Smith was locked up at Calgary's Remand Centre and spent most of his time signing autographs for fellow inmates.
12/11/00
Dave reports on a WILD confortation between a fan and X-Pac at, of all places, a water park. We touched on this during our 1999 lookback but now we have more details. The incident occurred on July 4, 1999, at a waterpark. A fan, Elias Urbana, spotted X-Pac (with his family) and asked him for an autograph. X-Pac flat-out ignored him, so Urbana chopped him on the chest and said, "Do you think you are too good for me because you are making big money?" X-Pac then allegedly punched Urbana. He had to plead no contest to disorderly conduct and was fined $178.

hack87
Full Fledged Mark

Post by hack87 » June 12th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Thank you for posting all of this. Very cool and interesting stuff. I wish I'd gone to a lot of the signings up until late 2011 when I went to my first event. I really didn't know about conventions or follow signings until maybe a year or two earlier.

Funny about Sammartino, who continued to make last appearances until shortly before he passed. Wonder if he was under Sal Corrente's control back in 2000.

Also wondering if Sunny is signing autographs for inmates currently...

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » June 12th, 2019, 6:02 pm

I love how even back then, wrestlers like Bruno were teasing "last ever" appearances. Unless the person becomes too ill or physically disabled to do it anymore, no in-demand wrestler is ever truly "retired" from making appearances, lol.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » June 12th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Wow. Bulldog combo for going to jail
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets