JOresky's Great Philly Comic Con 2019 Report

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Joresky

JOresky's Great Philly Comic Con 2019 Report

Post by Joresky » April 16th, 2019, 11:27 am

This past Saturday I attended the Great Philadelphia Comic Con in Oaks, PA. I went up with my good friend Francesco. This is a pretty well run convention but my only gripe is the admission charge to get in ($50 at the door.. ouch! think it was only $45 in advance.. still high) My top want at the con was actor Nick Frost who was in several movies with the great SImon Pegg including Sean of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and At World's End. He was also in the new Paige biopic movie "Fighting with My Family" which I absolutely loved. I know Nick is scheduled to appear at Monster Mania in August but I know how celebs love to cancel and there were were other wants for me there so I figured why not. Also it was my birthday weekend (turned 39 on Thursday) so I figured this would be a fun way to celebrate. When I arrived at the con I went straight to Nick Frost's table but he just went on his lunch break so I would have to come back for him later. I met up with my good friend Andrew and he was kind enough to take photos for me. He already finished meeting his wants because he arrived a bit earlier than me. I usually trust a good friend to take my photos over the celebrity's handler because they tend to do a better job and will sometimes take multiple shots for me.

The first celebrity I got to meet at the con was voice actor Kenny James who played the voice of Bowser/King Koopah in the Super Mario Brothers video games. He was $20 for a table op which was reasonable. I had already met voice actor Charles Martinet (he was at this con too) who played the voice of Mario at Wizard World Philadelphia so I figured why not meet Bowser. I really wish I could meet the live action Mario and Bowser but sadly they are all dead (Bob Hoskins and Dennis Hopper from the live action movie and Lou Albano from the TV show). Kenny was really cool and had a Bowser t-shirt on. He even tagged himself in my photo on facebook and I sent him a friend request which he accepted (how cool is that). The next actor I met was actor Anson Mount (Captain Pike in Star Trek Discovery). I had a photo with him already from a NYC street meet years ago but he had a full beard so I figured I should upgrade it since he looks more like his character in Discovery now then he did years ago with the beard. I would have liked to have gotten the autograph too but it would have been an extra $40 so I figured I would hold off on that.. he is scheduled to appear at another con I'm going to this summer so maybe I'll get the autograph if the price is less at that con. Next I met a few voice actors from Red Dead Redemption 2.. Alex McKenna, Benjamin Byron Davis and Steven J Palmer. These actors had roles in movies and TV shows so I figured they were the best ones to meet from the actors who were there for Red Dead Redemption 2.

The next actor I met was my second biggest want at the con, Keone Young. I was very happy to see him added to this con because I saw he was at Garden State Comic Fest but decided not to attend that con because he was the only name I needed there. Keone has been in many great TV shows and movies over the years. He was the voice of Storm Shadow in GI Joe, he was in Deadwood, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Star Wars Rebels and lots more. I decided to get the full combo from Keone and he was super nice and very funny. He was cracking jokes and he was one of the highlights of the con for me. After this I got a photo with actor Christopher Patrick Nolan who had a small role in Star Wars Rogue One. His role was not big in the movie but he was only $10 for a table op so I figured why not. Next I met my top want for the con, Nick Frost. Nick had a short line which was great and his photo price was reasonable at only $30. His autograph would have been an extra $40 so I decided to skip the autograph. He was very nice and I told him that I really enjoyed him in his latest film Fighting with My Family. He was standing up for my photo but apparently I lucked out because other people went up to him only ten minutes later and he sat down for their photos because he said he was getting tired.

Next I met actor Daniel Bonjour (TVs The Walking Dead, I Zombie) who was reasonably priced at $30 for a combo. He was very nice and had no line at all. Lastly I met four castmembers from the TV show The Expanse. I got table photos with Frankie Adams, Cara Gee, Dominique Tipper and Andrew Rotilio. Cas Anvar was also there but luckily I already got a photo with him for free up in NYC. Frankie and Dominique also had roles in the movies Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Mortal Engines so I figured they were good names to pick up. After this me and Francesco left the con and he dropped me at the Greyhound station in Philadelphia since he was staying to attend a Dream Theatre concert and meet and greet (I don't care for them.. too progressive). I tried for singer Kenny Loggins near Baltimore that night but unfortunately I didn't see him (the venue can be kinda tricky) so I wasn't able to score any more combos that night. Oh well, win some lose some. Overall I had a great time at the con and picked up some cool fresh names.
photonickfrost.jpg
Me and actor Nick Frost
photokeoneyoung.jpg
Me and actor Keone Young
photokennyjames.jpg
Me and voice actor Kenny James
photoansonmount.jpg
Me and actor Anson Mount
photofrankieadams.jpg
Me and actress Frankie Adams
photodominiquetipper.jpg
Me and actress Dominique Tipper
photocaragee.jpg
Me and actress Cara Gee
photocaragee2.jpg
Me and actress Cara Gee
photoandrewrotilio.jpg
Me and actor Andrew Rotilio
photoalexmckenna.jpg
Me and actress Alex McKenna
photochristopherpatricknolan.jpg
Me and actor Christopher Patrick Nolan
photobenjaminbyrondavis.jpg
Me and actor Benjamin Byron Davis
photostevenjpalmer.jpg
Me and voice actor Steven J Palmer
autokeoneyoung.jpg
Keone Young signed photo
autodanielbonjour.jpg
Daniel Bonjour signed photo
Attachments
photodanielbonjour.jpg
Me and actor Daniel Bonjour

Cozmik
Marking Out Amateur

Re: JOresky's Great Philly Comic Con 2019 Report

Post by Cozmik » April 16th, 2019, 12:13 pm

You got some good ones! Great con, not as crowded as I thought it would be. Keone Young was great!

Greg2600

Re: JOresky's Great Philly Comic Con 2019 Report

Post by Greg2600 » April 16th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Good gets, though the Expanse people were too expensive.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com