Oddities first Entrance song

class316
Marked Out God

Oddities first Entrance song

Post by class316 » January 12th, 2019, 3:31 pm

From what I hear they cut that out from the WWE Network (SSlam 98 to be exact). Fondly remember it.

Rights issues? Or political correctness gone mad?
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

yosemitechris
Marked Out King

Re: Oddities first Entrance song

Post by yosemitechris » January 12th, 2019, 5:25 pm

loved the oddities!

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » January 12th, 2019, 5:40 pm

It was an ICP song, so I'm guessing that they just licensed it to WWE for a certain period of time, and didn't sign off on permanent usage rights.

Happens all the time on the Network unfortunately - it's especially noticeable in the Attitude Era, when they would license popular songs to be PPV themes, but wouldn't be allowed to use it anymore by the time the first DVD was originally released, let alone now.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » January 13th, 2019, 1:34 am

class316 wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 3:31 pm
From what I hear they cut that out from the WWE Network (SSlam 98 to be exact). Fondly remember it.

Rights issues? Or political correctness gone mad?
Been stated 50x that it's a rights issue....what would be political correctness???

Jason1980s
Marked Out Pro

Post by Jason1980s » January 13th, 2019, 11:25 am

They actually had a non-lyric song before going with the ICP song. It sounded like a circus type theme and was used when Jackyl introduced them on a Raw. I can't remember if ICP was with them on that episode.
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » January 13th, 2019, 11:42 am

Jason1980s wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 11:25 am
They actually had a non-lyric song before going with the ICP song. It sounded like a circus type theme and was used when Jackyl introduced them on a Raw. I can't remember if ICP was with them on that episode.
The instrumental version was only used for a brief period of time. When Jackyl first introduced them (with Crackhead Bob and Hank the Angry Dwarf making cameos on Raw), they were supposed to be a heel faction, and had the slower pace instrumental circus music. But as the story goes, during an office party soon after their debut, Kurrgan was dancing around with his wife having fan, and Vince saw it and thought that he was more charismatic as a funny dancing giant than as a monster heel, so they changed the whole gimmick to be wacky babyfaces, and Jackyl was pretty much out of a job. I don't think ICP or their music got involved with them until after they turned babyface.

class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 » January 13th, 2019, 1:24 pm

lanza218 wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 1:34 am
what would be political correctness???
Essentially making fun of "freaks"

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » January 13th, 2019, 4:24 pm

ICP had released a R rated version of that song long before it came to WWF, it is a rights issue, nothing to due with correctness

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » January 13th, 2019, 5:43 pm

If it was a correctness issue and they didn't want to be seen making fun of freaks, they would have deleted the actual matches featuring the gimmick, not the background music during the segments.

As far as I know, the only (non-rights issue) things that get automatically cut from the Network are F-bombs and accidental nudity. I mean, the full Katie Vick segment is still up on the Network, so if they're not scrubbing that for PC reasons, they're not going to start drawing a line at ICP lyrics.

class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 » January 13th, 2019, 7:02 pm

AJLe wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 5:43 pm

As far as I know, the only (non-rights issue) things that get automatically cut from the Network are F-bombs and accidental nudity.
I think there's more than that. Don't they have some instances of redubbed commentating when it comes to Chris Benoit?

Also, I know the PPV where Owen Hart died is not as originally aired.

What about the time The Kat got nude? Is that still up? I wonder.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » January 13th, 2019, 7:33 pm

The Kat spot is still on the Network, but they digitally blurred out the nudity. In fact, they even blur out the old Flair spot where the heel gets his trunks pulled and his ass crack is out for a minute. No nudity of any kind is kept on the Network.

I didn't methodically go back and watch a bunch of Benoit stuff, but it's my understanding that the general rule of thumb is that if commentary was talking about Benoit in context, how it originally aired before the murders, it's left in, but if it's any new documentary or history package produced today, no Benoit references are allowed. I believe the Something Else To Talk About With Bruce Prichard episode on WWE's ECW brand had to be delayed, so they could edit out Benoit references. When they get to the part where the crowned the first new ECW champion (a match Benoit was scheduled to be in the weekend of the murders), Benoit's name is never mentioned, but they to talk about why Morrison was chosen for "his spot", so there was obviously originally a reference in the original production that got cut.

With regards to Owen, I didn't think I needed to say "Oh yeah, and the time a guy died on a show, they edited out references to him dying", since it was pretty much common sense.

class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 » January 13th, 2019, 9:05 pm

AJLe wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 7:33 pm
The Kat spot is still on the Network, but they digitally blurred out the nudity. In fact, they even blur out the old Flair spot where the heel gets his trunks pulled and his ass crack is out for a minute. No nudity of any kind is kept on the Network.
ughh!!
When they get to the part where the crowned the first new ECW champion (a match Benoit was scheduled to be in the weekend of the murders), Benoit's name is never mentioned, but they to talk about why Morrison was chosen for "his spot", so there was obviously originally a reference in the original production that got cut.
Yes this was even changed for the DVD. Should have been kept original.
With regards to Owen, I didn't think I needed to say "Oh yeah, and the time a guy died on a show, they edited out references to him dying", since it was pretty much common sense.
They should have kept JR's speech, everything. I should try to find a good quality version of that online (as originally aired of course)

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » January 15th, 2019, 6:27 am

class316 wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 9:05 pm
They should have kept JR's speech, everything. I should try to find a good quality version of that online (as originally aired of course)
Which one, The one he made just after the incident or the one announcing his death? I haven't seen the one just after the incident since it happened & the one announcing his death is on the Hart family & Owen DVD's.

class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 » January 15th, 2019, 11:50 am

mrira wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 6:27 am
class316 wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 9:05 pm
Which one, The one he made just after the incident or the one announcing his death? I haven't seen the one just after the incident since it happened & the one announcing his death is on the Hart family & Owen DVD's.
Hope to find one with both just as aired

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » January 24th, 2019, 12:39 pm

More "bad" news for Class - apparently the WWE recently uploaded some old Christmas shows from the AWA to the Network from 81 and 82, but edited out both of the matches that included Buck "Rock and Roll" Zhumhofe, since Zhumhofe has been convicted of various pedo crimes, including with one of his own children.

Hopefully this sets a precedent, and the WWE also removes footage of the guy who played "7-11" (parody of Syxx) in the BWO segments from ECW, from the Network as well.