RICC Report with brief NYC stops

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Greg2600

RICC Report with brief NYC stops

Post by Greg2600 » November 6th, 2018, 12:30 pm

November began with an annual slog up to Providence, R.I. Found out Randy Quaid no-showed the night before, which stunk but wasn’t a surprise. Lanza was not able to attend, so I’d have to curtail some of the high priced spending, so as not to dump $500 bucks. Overnight, djknightrida texted me that he was willing to split his Gwen pro op, so I agreed to that one. Asian Dave also helped out by securing me a one-day pass the night before, so I could skip that line at the box office. I got up and started the drive in a bit of a drizzle. Then the skies cleared and I was able to make decent time. I passed one car on the Merritt Parkway that had flipped over the divider. However, the real craziness was about 25 minutes from Providence, where THREE separate multicar accidents had occurred literally minutes before I passed them. All were on the right hand shoulder so I assume the cause was someone darting into the exit lane. It was raining decently again by that point. Pulled into a garage about 10 minute walk from the con for $9, covered my stuff with a bag, and away I went. Dave met me at the entrance, and we skipped through, avoiding the gargantuan line outside.

:asiandave:

Once inside, I headed right for the fifth floor, where most mid-level celebrities would be. My first stop was the “Macgyver” Richard Dean Anderson line, who was charging a whopping $70 to sign and no table ops. His line took forever, and later in the day was overflowing badly. To his credit, he was very nice and personable. I brought up the fact they never made a Mac video game back in the day, and he shared some thoughts on that. Back in the 80’s, his show, Dukes, and A-Team were out and out my favorites. While in line, his former adversary on the series, Michael des Barres, walked over to say hello, and that was very cool.

Mac

While there, DJ found me, and we also agreed to split the RDA pro op later on, then hit the wrestling room to get Nathan Jones from Mad Max: Fury Road. Jones is a massive individual, if I were to sound like Vince McMahon the broadcaster. I scurried back to the other room, and got in line for Michelle Trachtenberg from Buffy, Eurotrip, and Harriet the Spy. She was not there very long, before the dreaded “she has to leave for a panel” talk began. I was already in the small lined section of hers, and stood by while tons of VIP’s were let through. So when the handler suggested she take care of all VIP’s only, I naturally was pissed. However, when it was my time, I just ignored him and plopped my fifty down for the photo. Michelle had a back injury or something, so she’s forced to use a cane. Naturally she had to stay seated, but she was very nice nonetheless.

Jones

Michelle

Scanning the room, I saw that Laura Vandervoort was there, and had a small line. Ironically, the Smallville folks had almost nobody, while Michelle and Richard Dean had massive lines. Anywho, despite Michael Rosenbaum constantly goofing on her, Laura was as nice as always. Years back, she did a panel at NYCC for Bitten, but I only got an autograph that time. From there, AndrewS23 found me, so we chummed around a bit. I wound up getting Dustin/Goldust at this show, as his combo price was basically what it would be at Big Event. No, he wasn’t painted, but frankly I’d rather avoid a mess in Queens. Perhaps if they have his photo op at a set time, where you don’t have to wait, I might do it. Had him sign an old WWF magazine, which he was super excited about, for some reason. Next we visited a few voice actors, namely Futurama staple John DiMaggio, and Jason Marsden. John plays the King in Disenchantment, and I professed my adulation for the show, while he mainly barked Bender catch prases.

Laura

Dustin

DiMaggio

Marsden

I still needed a couple people up here, but my MacGyver op was soon to occur, so I made my way back down to the first level. Here they had signs in the hallway for photo ops, but they were not properly pointing where to go. The walk to get into the vendor room was awful, marked by people blocking the way taking pics with cosplayers. I finally get in, and walk the distance, but can’t find the ops section. Again, there was NO signage high enough for anyone to see it. I spot a guy that I see here every year doing crowd control and ask him. He either ignores me or can’t hear so I ask again. We’re now, literally, 2 steps out the door into the hallway. He points me to the far back corner, but demands I go ALL THE WAY BACK AROUND to enter!!! I ask him if he’s serious, and he screams at me. I tell him he needs to take a pill or something, because I literally took two steps out to ASK HIM the question. This ass-hat threatens to toss me from the building and gets on his walkie-talkie like a radio tough guy. Now I never raised my voice to this prick, nor did I try to run back into the room or anything. In any event, I decided to turn the other cheek, as frankly, he has quite the future in mall security ahead of him, and left. Photo ops had enough room for their lines, but little else. This resulted in scores of people hanging around the entrance waiting for their lines to be announced. In any case, DJ and I got Mac and then Captain Phasma ops without incident. I couldn’t find a splitter for Hayden, so I opted to skip his pro op again.

:f8you:

:dj:

Gwen

Mac

Moving on, I headed back upstairs, where I found Andrew, and I got the photo with Tommy “Tiny” Lister in the wrestling room. I return to the ballroom, and decide to wait for Jessica Henwick of Iron Fist, as it’s after 2PM, and she’s due back. And frankly, had she returned as promised, I would have been out of this place by 2:30! Unfortunately, she and Finn Jones took a long break, returning to their tables well over an hour later. I got the photo op, and told her I was quite unhappy that the series was not renewed. Following this, I scooted over to Mom Winchester’s table, for the photo with Samantha Smith. Thank God that New England doesn’t get a damn Creation SPN convention, so guests like her are booked.

Lister

Henwick

Smith

At this point, I think I’m done done, and just have to wait for Ol’ Jerry to be finished with a couple pro ops, and we can leave. Well, Asian Dave got stuck waiting for Hayden, so he didn’t have a chance to get my stuff signed by Morena Baccarin yet. I took them, and got in her regular line, which moved mighty fast. She was doing table ops for $50, and I definitely needed an upgrade, but chose not to pay, and just have my Gotham and Firefly pieces signed. Both are about finished, with Gotham needing Jessica Lucas and Firefly needing Adam Baldwin.

Morena

Top Left

Top Right

In closing, ironically, this con this year was plain lucky that the guest list was devoid of current A-list types. It would have been a logistical nightmare.

Much of this was detailed by :joresky: but we left and walked back to my car, and headed out. I got us back to NYC around 8PM, so we checked a spot for Danny Elfman and Benedict Cumberbach, but it seemed we were too late, plus the access was terrible. After that, I drove to the theater district and parked. We walked to one spot for Mike Birbiglia, who I really didn’t care about. He wasn’t out yet, so I left and got Hugh Dancy from Hannibal/The Path. Jerry went for someone else I already had, so I got in my car, and drove a bit and reparked. I then waited at a mildly crowded spot for Laura Donnelly, who I never saw, and probably slipped out. While I’m there, Paddy Considine walks out, and I realize he’s chatting with Russell Crowe, his old Cinderella Man co-star. I alert JOresky but get no response. Well over half an hour goes by, and the two are still chatting away on the sidewalk. In the meantime, Crowe winds up taking two dozen photos. Frankly, had I not still been waiting for Laura, I would have gone home. Finally Jerry looks at his damn phone, and inquires. I tell him, yes, they’re still here, hurry the hell up! He gets there, and gets the op, while I ask for a dual shot, as Cinderella Man was a great film, and I have both guys solo already. Jerry was so happy, he bought me pizza and a coke, and then I drove home.

Hugh

Russ and Paddy

The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

crowbar
Marked Out King

Re: RICC Report with brief NYC stops

Post by crowbar » November 6th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Great report

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » November 6th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Good stuff dude...I like your pic with dawn from Buffy way better then the pro shots. She looks way better in your pic..

Cozmik
Marking Out Amateur

Post by Cozmik » November 7th, 2018, 6:13 am

and just have my Gotham and Firefly pieces signed. Both are about finished, with Gotham needing Jessica Lucas and Firefly needing Adam Baldwin.
Adam Baldwin is at Steel City in December.

Joresky

Post by Joresky » November 7th, 2018, 8:41 am

Awesome pics and sigs!! Great hanging out and thanks again for everything especially alerting me to Crowe at that spot, really made my trip :like:

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » November 7th, 2018, 9:30 am

Cozmik wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 6:13 am
and just have my Gotham and Firefly pieces signed. Both are about finished, with Gotham needing Jessica Lucas and Firefly needing Adam Baldwin.
Adam Baldwin is at Steel City in December.
Only 6.5 hours away. Ha ha!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com