Rhode Island Comic Con 2018

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
zuko3984

Rhode Island Comic Con 2018

Post by zuko3984 » November 5th, 2018, 2:24 am

Went all 3 days to Rhode Island Comic Con. Had a good time. Got all the autographs and photo ops i wanted. I had VIP tickets which i found very worth getting. It's the only way i would do this con. Saved me a lot of time and probably was the main reason i was able to get everything i wanted to get. The VIP entrance and the hour early entry on Saturday alone was worth the extra money to me. I figure you are paying one way or another either in time or money and i'd rather pay in money as long as I can. And now on with the report
Friday I drove to RI and arrived at my Hotel about 2pm. Hotel Providence is a really nice hotel about a 5 minute walk from the convention. Checked in and then went over to the con. Was able to walk right in at the VIP entrance. Looked like there was a line to get in at the regular entrance but no line at all at the VIP entrance. Security is always a joke to me at these cons. Standard metal detector that walked through and forgot to take my cell phone out of my pocket and they didn't say anything so it either didn't set it off or they didn't care but either it shows what waste it is. Also standard "Bag check" which they didn't even look in all the pockets of my bag so i could have brought anything in and they didn't even look in my poster tube at all.
VIP entrance lets you in at the Dunkin Center so i went downstairs to check out which celebrities would be there instead of over at the convention center. My main goal for this con was to get Morena Baccarin on a Serenity poster i have that is signed by everyone else in the cast including Joss Whedon. I found her table and also Kiefer Sutherlands table who i also wanted to get. Both were going to be there Saturday and Sunday. No one i wanted was at the DD center on Friday so i walked over to the Convention center to see where the Photo ops were set up and to find the autograph section there. Photo ops were on the main floor in he back. Checked that none of the times of the photo ops i paid for had changed and then headed upstairs to the celebrity autograph room. Found Katrina Law and got an autograph from her. She was very nice. For some reason she really liked the picture I had her sign. Talked to her for a few minutes and got her autograph. She was doing table pics but i bought a pro photo op so i just got the autograph
ImageKatrina Law Autograph by zuko1312, on Flickr

Next found Kristanna Loken. I had a shirt on with a pic of her from Terminator 3 and she really really liked it. She like dit so much she took a picture of me in it for herself. I've had that happen a few times and it's always weird for me when the celebrity wants to take a picture of me. She was also doing table photo ops but i paid for a pro op so i just got the autograph. She was also very nice.
ImageKristanna Loken Autograph by zuko1312, on Flickr

Everyone else i wanted was not there till Saturday. So i went and walked the dealers room until it was time for the pro photo ops with Kristanna Loken and Katrina Law. Photo ops were the usual fast in and out. I think the pics came out good. I'm happy with them
ImageMe and Katrina Law by zuko1312, on Flickr
ImageMe and Kristanna Loken by zuko1312, on Flickr

After the photo ops walked the dealers room some more then called it a day.

Saturday it was raining when I left the hotel and I was really glad I had the VIP ticket. Got to go in an hour early and no line to get in. I saw lot of people waiting in the rain on line to get in at the regular entrance. As soon as i got in i went right downstairs and got in line for Morena Baccarin. Her line wasn't too bad when i got on it but by the time she started to sign it had gotten pretty long. But i was close to the front and her line moved really fast. She was nice enough but not super friendly. But she signed and put a quote from the movie so it matched what everyone else did. Got my autograph and my main goal for this con was accomplished.
ImageIMG_20181105_013541 by zuko1312, on Flickr

Next went and got in the line for Kiefer Sutherland. His line was long at this point and i wasn't sure i would get to the front before it was time for my pro photo ops. I decided to try and see how it went. The line was so long they had an overflow section in the seats up one level. I went up there and waited about 15- 20 minutes but was happy to be sitting. Then they sent the group of us down and i got in the VIP line which moved super quick and it took maybe another 15 minutes to get to the front. The regular line was long and slow so I again was super glad i had a VIP ticket. He was really nice and friendly and i got my autograph.
ImageKiefer Sutherland Autograph by zuko1312, on Flickr
Took a lot less time then i expected and i had some time before my photo ops so i went over to the convention center to try to get autographs from Emma Dumont and Michelle Trachtenberg. Found Emma Dumont and she was there signing. She had a short line and was very friendly talking to everyone. When i got to the front she somehow got to talking about the Golden Girls TV show which i now know she is a big fan of. She was so into talking about it that as she was signing my photo she was distracted by the conversation and messed up signing it. Then she was so apologetic about it. She ended up signing the messed up one and giving me another autograph also. I thought it was great and now i have a funny autographed photo and a story. She was one of the nicest celebrities i have ever met.
ImageEmma Dumont Autograph by zuko1312, on Flickr
ImageEmma Dumont autograph by zuko1312, on Flickr
Next went and found Michelle Trachtenberg. Her line was kind of long but I was able to get in the VIP line which wasn't that bad and moved quick. She was nice but seemed distracted. Ric Flairs table was next to hers and they were doing his Wooo chant and she had no idea what was going on and asked what that was so I explained it to her. Got her to autograph a Eurotrip Min poster which is one of my favorite movies.
ImageIMG_20181105_020053 by zuko1312, on Flickr

It was time for some photo ops. First up was Morena Baccarin.
ImageMe and Morena Baccarin by zuko1312, on Flickr
Next was Michelle Trachtenberg. She must be sick or injured or something because she was using a cane during the photo op which caught me by surprise.
ImageMe and Michelle Trachtenberg by zuko1312, on Flickr

And last one for the day was the Smallville trio of Michael Rosenbaum, Laura Vandervoort and Tom Welling
ImageMe, Michael Rosenbaum, Laura Vandervoort and Tom Welling by zuko1312, on Flickr
After that i walked around the dealers room some more and called it a day.
Sunday I Just had two photo ops to get. First one was Emma Dumont. I had ordered a shirt with her on it from the gifted TV show that i wanted to wear for the photo but it didn't arrive in time which i am still annoyed about.
ImageMe and Emma Dumont by zuko1312, on Flickr
and the last one is with Kiefer Sutherland
ImageMe and Kiefer Sutherland by zuko1312, on Flickr
After that i was done. Grabbed some lunch and stated the drive back home. Overall happy with the con and with what I got.

billybatson22
Marking Out Amateur

Re: Rhode Island Comic Con 2018

Post by billybatson22 » November 5th, 2018, 8:54 am

Great report for a con I am always interested in reading about.

One thing: If you hadn't captioned that was the "Smallville" cast shot I would have never known. Supergirl was not a memorable character from the show IMO, Lex with hair (and hat) threw me off and GREAT CAESER'S GHOST my man Tom Welling is UNRECOGNIZABLE! Geez!

Glad you had a good time!

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » November 5th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Great stuff and VIP is definitely worth it for RICC. I do t recall waiting that long when I went in 2015 but the line was big in 2016.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

yosemitechris
Marked Out King

Post by yosemitechris » November 5th, 2018, 1:03 pm

great report, thanks for sharing! you got some great photo ops there.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » November 6th, 2018, 1:19 am

Great results! First, I HATE your Serenity poster! Quite nice! Second, Kristanna Loken was at this con? Ha ha, totally missed her (though didn't need her, but always nice to SEE her). Lastly, yes, Emma Dumont is just amazingly nice, and as for Michelle, she has a really messed up back, hence the cane.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com