Greg-tober #6: Northeast Trek Con in Albany

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Greg2600

Greg-tober #6: Northeast Trek Con in Albany

Post by Greg2600 » November 2nd, 2018, 8:11 pm

I drove up to Albany, NY, in a rainstorm, for the Northeast Trek Con. I’ve been a Star Trek fan since I was like 10 years old, yet I’ve really not been to conventions for it (specifically). I’ve been to the Las Vegas “Experience” and seen travelling exhibits in the past. Creation Entertainment of course ran a NJ show for years and years, but I tended to stay away from them due to how Creation conducts itself. This one had 8 actors from TNG, DS9, and VOY, though most were 2nd tier, but I needed a photo, graph or both from 7 of them. There were also authors and production people who I had never met. It was a really neat experience, because I got to chat with everyone for 5, 10 minutes each. Got a lot of age old questions of mine answered too. Many of the guests were free photos, but I wound up paying for graphs I needed.

Acting wise, I got the combo from Nicole de Boer, who played Ezri Dax on the final DS9 season, plus she starred in Mission Genesis, The Cube, and Dead Zone. Got an autograph from Garrett Wang (Harry Kim) on my Voyager piece (had the photo already). The Ferengi “father/son” pairing were Max Grodénchik (Rom) and Aron Eisenberg (Nog), who I got combos from. The Klingon actors were Robert O’Reilly (Gowron) and J.G. Hertzler (Martok), also got combos. Bob signed my old Klingon interactive CD-Rom. Lastly I got a graph from Jeffrey Combs on my DS9 cast piece. The others I didn’t put on there as they wouldn’t all fit really.

Nicole de Boer

Garrett Wang

Max Grodénchik and Aron Eisenberg

Image Image

J.G. Hertzler and Robert O'Reilly

Jeffrey Combs

.....just under the wormhole

In terms of the other guests, I had Michael Jan Friedman (long time Trek novelist) sign an old paperback, while Marc Okrand (linguist who invented Klingon language) signed his as well. Rick Sternbach, long time Trek illustrator, signed a few Technical Manuals I had, from TNG and DS9. Last but not least, I had a great conversation with Marc Scott Zicree who wrote for Trek, He-Man, Real Ghostbusters, and produced Sliders at one time. I had a really cool time quizzing him on Sliders BTS info!

Michael Jan Friedman

Marc Okrand

Rick Sternbach

Marc Scott Zicree

Shots from the con...

Downtown Albany...

The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

yosemitechris
Marked Out King

Re: Greg-tober #6: Northeast Trek Con in Albany

Post by yosemitechris » November 3rd, 2018, 12:30 am

lucky you , love the nicole pic! been to over 10 star trek cons and still have never meet her!

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » November 3rd, 2018, 3:00 pm

Damn Nicole de Boer! Hope she does other stuff.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

Cozmik
Marking Out Amateur

Post by Cozmik » November 3rd, 2018, 5:03 pm

So cool! I’ve been rewatching DS9 as time allowed over the last several months and I was interested in going to that con but couldn’t get away that weekend. Rewatching the show I was surprised how even the second tier characters played bigger parts than I recalled. And DS9 really seems to be the most consistently well-written of all the Treks. The TNG cast do a lot of cons, but the DS9 cast are a little bit rarer. The hope they start getting booked more often.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » November 4th, 2018, 1:41 am

yosemitechris wrote:
November 3rd, 2018, 12:30 am
lucky you , love the nicole pic! been to over 10 star trek cons and still have never meet her!
Most of the 2nd and 3rd tier Trek names usually only did Creation cons domestically, as those jokers had a monopoly on Star Trek. That's now gone as they only do the Vegas show. Surprised you havne't as I was under the assumption that Nicole was fairly virgil.
Cozmik wrote:
November 3rd, 2018, 5:03 pm
So cool! I’ve been rewatching DS9 as time allowed over the last several months and I was interested in going to that con but couldn’t get away that weekend. Rewatching the show I was surprised how even the second tier characters played bigger parts than I recalled. And DS9 really seems to be the most consistently well-written of all the Treks. The TNG cast do a lot of cons, but the DS9 cast are a little bit rarer. The hope they start getting booked more often.
Voyager technically had a larger ensemble but DS9 used a ton of recurring actors. Such was the case when the story centered on a space station that didn't move.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » November 5th, 2018, 7:36 pm

Wow that’s AMAZING stuff, man. Long live DS9.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/