To Escape the Villians of Gotham, Eli must throw a Thundercat out of Shawshank

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Greg2600

To Escape the Villians of Gotham, Eli must throw a Thundercat out of Shawshank

Post by Greg2600 » May 9th, 2018, 12:29 am

Couple remaining gets in April….I went to a spot for Kylie Minogue (Biodome), but it was swarmed so no dice. Joined a few people at another location for her, but after some time, there was no sign of her so we all left. I missed another celeb going into another event, and decided not to wait. On the way home I stopped for another Gotham name, Nathan Darrow, who plays Victor Freeze. He was also very good in the HBO Bernie Madoff movie that starred Deniro and Pfeiffer.

On another occasion, I alerted Lanza of an easy spot for Tom Hulce of Animal House and Amadeus films. He met there, and after about 30 minutes, I see an old, quite overweight white guy with white hair and a beard. Lanza calls him Tim, but we’re not sure if it’s him. Not more than 2 minutes later, another overweight, white, aging, guy with white hair and beard walks up. THIS is Tom, and he stops for Lanza. We mention the Animal House reunion, which he didn’t seem to care one iota about. Then I had to ask him 3 times before finally tapping his shoulder for my photo, as he was walking away. Crazy!

Lanza went home, so I went to a spot for Lin-Manual Miranda, expecting maybe 3 or 4 people, and being greeted with 10+. Ridiculous. Apparently Michael Douglas was due to show up. In any event, Lin got swarmed and only signed a few, no pics. Michael got really swarmed, signed 4 or 5, no pics and security interceded. This resulted in several dealers screaming at them. Just plain ugly. I had no desire in waiting for hours to exit, so I started walking to my car. It was a good two dozen blocks south, and on the way I stopped at a small eatery I knew, and got some chow. While eating, I see that Tim Robbins from Shawshank and Bull Durham is at an event not too far away! I finish eating, walk to my car, and drive over. After about 45 minutes wait, out comes Tim, and he’s all mine! Does the photo, and we exchanged some thoughts on his beloved New York Mets. Andrew Shue was there as well, but he was not likely to leave early, and I had zero interest in waiting another hour for him. I passed by the Miranda spot, which now featured half dozen photo with, and twice as many graphers, so I didn’t stop and went home. Of course, I learned the following day that Douglas had no car, he just walked out the door and into Times Square with people following him! So yeah, I probably could have gotten him.

Moving on to Manning Day, which started in NYC knowing I had to be home early, to meet up with my cousin and head to the Steiner New Rochelle HQ for the Eli Manning event. I stupidly attempted a spot for the enigmatic Eric Stoltz, who ignored everyone on arrival, and snuck out leaving. I should have gone to another spot for Chris O’Donnell, who is pretty nice. I knew where Chris would appear in the evening, but I couldn’t go. I waited around a hotel for a little while then called it and went home. We got to the Eli event and grabbed some food and beer. Eli and Brandon Steiner chatted for a good 45 minutes, and it was pretty funny. Much better than wacked out Chevy. Then they did the photo ops. The Chevy quality, both of photographer and JPEG, was not ideal, but this time the dude taking them was really good. The JPEG’s were available that night, in high resolution. Within a week I received the framed 16x20 signed by Eli, which I will most likely sell.

Towards the end of the week, I had seen people in NYC getting photos with Paul Wesley. Ehhh, not much of a fan, but it’s odd that I don’t know of a performance like that, so I went to the website. Seems it was ending Saturday. Now I really don’t know what drove me to do this, because I usually don’t, but I started clicking on cast member bios, given that none of their names really hit me. An older ladies’ though had a RED FLAG word for me in it….Thundercats! It was Lynne Lipton, the voice of Cheetara, WilyKit, and Pumyra. What’s odder is that the bio only mentioned Pumyra and that she was replaced in season 2. This is true, but Lynne voiced the other two for the remainder of the series.

Here’s a backstory…. So back in August 2014, Lipton, Peter Newman, and Larry Kenney appeared at a Connecticut convention. I do not know why I didn’t go, but I definitely should have. It was the same weekend as the Brady Bunch Con, which I was intending on hitting up in NJ, before learning the prices were astronomical. I did make it to Monster Mania though that weekend. Anyway, this put me into action. I found some photos, made a Costco order, and hit the road. Got a quick bite, picked the photos up, and drove into the city. I actually hit a spot for my long time foil Maggie Q, with a friend, first. Unfortunately the access here was bad, and meant we had to peer inside, and if we saw her, run in through the door! I did see her, and started moving, but they had an elevator open, and she went right into it! Gahhhhhh, foiled again!

My friend bailed, so I drove down near the spot for Lynne. A few ladies I know in the hobby were there for Paul. Turns out this was the final performance, NOT the following day, which sucked because they wound up having a party. Wesley did not stay for it, and despite a throng of teeny girls chasing him, I somehow got a selfie. Lipton took forever to leave, but she was ultra nice! Signed my items and did a selfie. She said Larry is always trying to get her to come to conventions with him, but she’s not a big fan of them. She’d rather perform. By this point, it was too late to chance Maggie exit, so I went home.

In the last chapter, I made another day-time run at a few names. My primary concern was to get Cameron Monaghan, who’s promoting Gotham’s season 4 and his appearance as a proto-Joker. While I of course greatly enjoy the series and his character, my reason for meeting him is Shameless. I love that show, and quite aggravatingly am missing a lot of the cast. Anywho, I arrived, and got a good rail spot. Cameron took care of literally everybody on the way in, which was simply fantastic! After this I went to a few spots for Michael B. Jordan that were busts. He did nothing for us; however, did for everyone at other spots we weren’t at! Absolutely incredible. Also saw Chadwick Boseman for the first time, and he per usual blanked. In the process I did get a photo with UCB founder and comic actor Matt Walsh. I’ve always found his work quite funny. One time, pretty late at night, I ran into him after a UCB show, and asked for a photo. He was drunk, and proceeded to berate me! Well, this time he was nice as can be. Ha ha ha ha!

The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

billybatson22
Marking Out Amateur

Re: To Escape the Villians of Gotham, Eli must throw a Thundercat out of Shawshank

Post by billybatson22 » May 9th, 2018, 6:47 am

Good gosh. Tom Hulce...wow.

He might be THE most unrecognizable of the Animal House cast today; especially after seeing a bunch of them at Chiller.

Imagine getting him in a group photo op? I'd think it was Richard Dreyfuss between Otter and Katy!

Great report as usual.

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Re: To Escape the Villians of Gotham, Eli must throw a Thundercat out of Shawshank

Post by djknightrida » May 9th, 2018, 9:30 am

Outstanding. Multiple names I’d love to get. Keep up the good work.
2017 Most Unique Photo Winner

:dj:

Joresky

Post by Joresky » May 9th, 2018, 9:43 am

Awesome stuff! Need Hulce and Robbins

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » May 9th, 2018, 10:47 pm

Great stuff -- especially that Eli photo op!
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

luiginyc84
Marked Out Pro

Post by luiginyc84 » May 10th, 2018, 9:17 am

Robbins is awesome. Love the Monaghan shot to. Im also a big Shameless fan. Even as a Cowboy fan I like the Eli photo. Gotta respect the guy even though hes been a thorn in the Cowboys side since he came into the league.
My Photo Ops / Autographs Collection
http://www.flickr.com/photos/luiginyc84/sets/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » May 11th, 2018, 11:26 am

Awesome! I am still annoyed we missed Robbins that night by minutes, glad you got him finally.