PhotoBucket Alternatives ?

Find out about updates and give us feedback. All users please make sure you familiarize yourselves with our rules. Violation of rules can result in account termination.
16times
Marked Out King

PhotoBucket Alternatives ?

Post by 16times » July 5th, 2017, 7:38 pm

Since the beginning of my participation in markedout, I have used a website called Photobucket to store photos and images that I place in my reports.

However, seems that the good folks at Photobucket have decided this is "3rd Parting Hosting", and I now need to pay them $399 a year in order to have that level of service. :vaht1:

How do other members link their photos and images to markedout ? I need something that is free. :thrilled:
"Every time you score a photo op, an angel gets his wings!"

WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: PhotoBucket Alternatives ?

Post by WOODMO » July 5th, 2017, 7:40 pm

Flickr is the best in my opinion. I pay, because I literally have like 85 gigs stored but their free option holds a gig or two. I couldn't recommend it more.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » July 5th, 2017, 7:50 pm

:jawdrop:

I've always used Photobucket, and I haven't been notified or had anything I posted with it not show up yet, so maybe there's some sort of threshold before the pay tier kicks in?

Regardless, most sites, like this one, allow you to upload pics as attachments directly off your HDD or camera, so I don't really rely on Photobucket much these days - basically just links on old message board posts, avatar pics, etc. Anything important I have backed up on HDD, flash drives, memory cards, etc.

I imagine I'll eventually bail on photobucket if they're charging now, so I'll be checking out everybody's recommendations too.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » July 5th, 2017, 7:59 pm

FLICKR for sure. It's free and has large storage. Photobucket's interface is awful too.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

16times
Marked Out King

Post by 16times » July 5th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Thanks Woodmo. I just opened a flickr account.

This all started when I noticed the photo I had posted with my "signature" for markedout posts had been replaced today by a Photobucket message. I went to it, and that's where they said this was 3rd party hosting and was no longer free.

After I read your response, I opened a flickr account, and that was pretty easy to get set up. However, I still need some advice.....

With Photobucket, once I'd uploaded a photo, I'd put it in my markedout reports by hitting the "Share" option. Photobucket would give me a link, which I'd cut and paste the link into my markedout info. The photo would then be on markedout.

So just now, I uploaded my little "signature" photo collage to flickr, hit their "Share" option, and it gave me a link. However, all markedout does is show that link........not the actual photo.

How do I use flickr to actually display a photo on markedout ?

16times
Marked Out King

Post by 16times » July 5th, 2017, 8:14 pm

AJLe wrote:
July 5th, 2017, 7:50 pm
most sites, like this one, allow you to upload pics as attachments directly off your HDD or camera
How do you do this ? I haven't seen an option to upload pics as attachments to reports. The only way I've ever known to do it is posting a link.

BTW, to see an example of the Photobucket error message, go to the Pro Wrestling discussion section on the forum, and look under the story I posted the other day titled, "Wrestling's New Heel, The Progressive Liberal." Down the thread I posted a photo of the guy, and it's now been replaced by a photobucket message that says, "Please update your account to allow 3rd party hosting."

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » July 5th, 2017, 9:08 pm

16times wrote:
July 5th, 2017, 8:14 pm
AJLe wrote:
July 5th, 2017, 7:50 pm
most sites, like this one, allow you to upload pics as attachments directly off your HDD or camera
How do you do this ? I haven't seen an option to upload pics as attachments to reports. The only way I've ever known to do it is posting a link.
Right below the Save Draft/Preview/Submit window before you submit a post, there's a button for options and attachments. Click on Attachments, the Add Files, and you'll be prompted to browse your computer and any drives (camera, flash drive, etc.) attached for pics. Should be pretty self explanatory after that.

Edit: You have to be under the preview option, not just "Quick Reply", BTW.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » July 5th, 2017, 9:41 pm

16times wrote:
July 5th, 2017, 8:09 pm
Thanks Woodmo. I just opened a flickr account.

This all started when I noticed the photo I had posted with my "signature" for markedout posts had been replaced today by a Photobucket message. I went to it, and that's where they said this was 3rd party hosting and was no longer free.

After I read your response, I opened a flickr account, and that was pretty easy to get set up. However, I still need some advice.....

With Photobucket, once I'd uploaded a photo, I'd put it in my markedout reports by hitting the "Share" option. Photobucket would give me a link, which I'd cut and paste the link into my markedout info. The photo would then be on markedout.

So just now, I uploaded my little "signature" photo collage to flickr, hit their "Share" option, and it gave me a link. However, all markedout does is show that link........not the actual photo.

How do I use flickr to actually display a photo on markedout ?
You will need to view a particular size of the image and then right click - copy image URL. That link will be the one that works inside the img code

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » July 5th, 2017, 10:27 pm

Photobucket evidently started this a longwhile ago. Had the same problem. They just didnt announce anything specific back then. But free accounts just couldnt 3rd party anymore.
http://www.cmshowstopper.com/ Official Webpage Of CM Showstopper

http://www.fallenangelchristopherdaniels.com Official Webpage of Christopher Daniels

16times
Marked Out King

Post by 16times » July 5th, 2017, 10:34 pm

Thanks everyone.

I got my "collage" back up in my signature line. I'll play with Flickr awhile and figure it out. Looks like my photobucket days are over.

16times
Marked Out King

Post by 16times » July 6th, 2017, 9:03 am

Hey AJLe,
I tried your tip for adding photos as Attachments. Super easy ! That's probably the way I'll go from now on. THANKS.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » July 6th, 2017, 9:26 am

Don't know if the attachments hang around that long? WOODMO could answer.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

wewantflair
Site Admin

Post by wewantflair » July 6th, 2017, 9:56 am

The attachments actually hang around forever unless we delete them. We do clear things out once in a while, so the site is good for short term storage but that's about it.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » July 6th, 2017, 10:00 am

Yeah, right now they will remain until we delete them. The issue though, is we're nearing 4GB of data just from the attachments, so I could see a day come where we purge a large amount of them.

To Class' chagrin, I just cannot justify increasing our monthly expenses to house old content 95% of people will never revisit.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » July 6th, 2017, 10:06 am

Yeah, attachments aren't a long-term solution for personal storage, but for quick and easy posting of pics into reports, it's great. I find it much more convenient than when I had to first upload everything to Photobucket, then C&P the links back into the report.