JOresky's Rhode Island Comic Con 2016 Report

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Joresky

JOresky's Rhode Island Comic Con 2016 Report

Post by Joresky » November 21st, 2016, 12:48 pm

Last weekend I attended the now famous Rhode Island Comic Con. Like the last few years this con had a stellar lineup but my excitement was diminished a bit by the cancellation of actress Kate Beckinsale who was my number two want at the convention. My number one want at the con was actress Gal Gadot who plays Wonder Woman in the new DC Comics films "Batman v Superman," "Justice League" and "Wonder Woman." When me and class arrived at RICC I picked up my badge and went inside the con. The first celebrity I met was actor Richard Grieco who was $40 for a table photo. I told Richard that I got to meet Johnny Depp earlier in the year. He was nice but not too talkative. Next I met actress Mena Suvari and got a $30 table photo with her. After this I met actors Falk Hentschel and Casper Crump. I got photos at the table with each of them for $25 each. Next I got a photo with actor Kevin Grevioux (Underworld). Next I went downstairs and purchased a professional photo op ticket for Frank Grillo and got a photo with him. Unfortunately my number 2 want of the con (after the Beckinslale cancellation) was actor Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Negan in The Walking Dead, The Comedian in Watchmen) but unfortunately his photo op tickets were completely sold out. :depressed: Next I got a free combo from actress Robin Shelby who played the voice of Slimer in Ghostbusters 2. She was free because I had a vendor badge.. she was free for anyone with a VIP badge or vendors badge. Next I got a photo with actor Travis Aaron Wade (TVs Supernatural) for $25. After this I got a combo with voice actress Shannon Farnon (Wonder Woman in TVs Super Friends) for $25. After this I got a free photo update with actor Johnny Brennan (The Jerky Boys) and a free photo with actor Michael Koske (Walker in TVs The Walking Dead). Next I got a photo op with singer Gioia Bruno (lead singer of Expose) for $20. Next I went downtstairs to try to meet up with my vendor buddy at the photo op area to get a photo with actor Jeffrey Dean Morgan. I told her the photo ops were sold out and she had a hookup for a free photo op so she said I could split her photo with her. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find her and she forgot to bring her cell phone with her so I screwed. I asked a couple board members if I could split Jeffrey with them because this seemed like the only way I could obtain the photo op since he was sold out. Unfortunately they said I couldn't because I usually refuse to split with them (because I hate the way the photos look when split) so its fair that they denied me. After about an hour of trying to find my friend I gave up and went back upstairs. Unfortunately my phone died at this point. A little while later I found out Greg was trying to contact me to split the photo but I was unreachable because my phone died. :1distraught: I later found out that Jeffrey Dean Morgan was wearing shades and a hat in these photo ops so in hindsight i'm very happy I didn't pay for this photo op :praise: because the only thing worse than shades and a hat is wearing a mask or bag over the head in my opinion. I hope I get another chance to meet him at another con (hopefully no shades and hat) or on the street at some point. When I went upstairs I got a photo with voice actors Nolan North (Deadpool) and Stefan Kapicic (Colossus in the Deadpool movie). Next I got a photo op with actress Brianna Hildebrand (Negasonic Teenage Warhead in Deadpool). The first photo was photobombed so I got a second one without the photobomb. After this I got a photo with artist Guy Gilchrist (co-creator of Muppet Babies, animator of 90s TMNT cartoon). I also got a free photo op with sci-fi author R.A. Salvatore. At this point I went to grab some dinner at Subway and then met up with the marked out guys for a get together at the Trinity Brewery where we all got to hang out for a while. Most of the heavy hitters of marked out were at the feast (Woodmo, Lanza, Asian Dave, Greg2600, Wewantflair and newer marked out member & awesome guy overthetop. After this me, class, Asian Dave and Overthetop went to another spot where celebrities were at. I was hoping to see Jeffrey Dean Morgan here but unfortunately I never did. I saw a bunch of actors at this spot that I had already so I didn't bother them but I did get a photo update with Rob Liefeld.. creator of Deadpool. We saw Dennis Haskins, Richard Grieco, Kelly Kelly, Brent Spiner and more at this spot. Around midnight class drove me and my buddy Martin who met up with us back to the airbnb spot where i was sleeping.

Sunday was the last day of the con and the only reason we were still there is because my top want of the show, Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman) was Sunday only. I got to sleep in which was nice for a change because I had no reason to be there early since I only had one celebrity to meet. I arrived at the con around 10:45 or so and went to hang out at my vendor buddies table. After a little while I went to get in the Gal Gadot photo op line. The line was very long but this time they were smart and they lined people up in the big autograph room instead of the small hallway near the photo area. The photo ops went much more smoothly at this point. Shortly after my photo was taken I picked it up from the table and it turned out great. :victory: Unfortunately I was told the jpegs might take up to two weeks to be sent to me. :angry14: I was very happy to get the photo with Gal because I hear she is very difficult to meet on the streets and when Justice League and Wonder Woman come out she might be too famous to do more cons or her price might go up. At this point i had to wait for class to get his photo op with Millie Bobby Brown so I hung out at my vendor buddies table and I got photos with some of the artists at the con. I got photo ops with artist Alan Bellman (Captain America), Geof Isherwood (Dr Strange, Suicide Squad), Steve Lavigne (TMNT) and Mike Zeck (Marvel's Secret Wars). Class told me one of the vendors had Action Comics number 1 so I got a photo op of me with the famous comic book. After class was finished getting Millie we met up at my vendor buddies table and then we started to leave. As we were leaving we ran into Heelorton :heelorton: and his friend who was there Sunday only (he attended Rewind Con in Illinois on Saturday and he flew to Rhode Island) and we chatted with him for a few minutes. One of my regrets was not doing the same thing because Rewind Con had a stellar lineup of 90210 and other celebs that I needed. Oh well, hope they do more conventions. We ended up departing Providence around 5 pm and I got home around 3:30 or 4 because class got tired about 30 minutes from my house and had to sleep for a couple hours. This sucked for me because I had to be up at 7:30 am that morning to go to work. For the most part I had a successful con despite a few hiccups (Jeffrey Dean Morgan). Can't wait til next year's RICC.

*** My Gal Gadot and Frank Grillo jpegs haven't been sent to me yet so I will add these photos to the report as soon as I receive them
Me and actress Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman, Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice, Justice League)
Me and actress Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman, Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice, Justice League)
photogalgadot.jpg (102.23 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
Me and actor Frank Grillo
Me and actor Frank Grillo
photofrankgrillo1.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 4093 times
Me and actress Mena Suvari (American Pie, Loser, American Beauty)
Me and actress Mena Suvari (American Pie, Loser, American Beauty)
photomenasuvari.jpg (232.51 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me and actress Brianna Hildebrand (Negasonic Teenage Warhead in Deadpool)
photobriannahildebrand1.jpg (220.7 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
photobriannahildebrand.jpg (188.12 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me and actor Stefan Kapicic (Colossus in Deadpool)
Me and actor Stefan Kapicic (Colossus in Deadpool)
photostefankapicic.jpg (172.45 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me and actor Richard Grieco
Me and actor Richard Grieco
photorichardgrieco.jpg (139.95 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me and actor Casper Crump
Me and actor Casper Crump
photocaspercrump.jpg (190.12 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me and actor Falk Hentschel
Me and actor Falk Hentschel
photofalkhentschel.jpg (213.61 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me and actor Michael Koske
Me and actor Michael Koske
photomichaelkoske.jpg (172.01 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me and actor Travis Aaron Wade
Me and actor Travis Aaron Wade
phototravisaaronwade.jpg (170.66 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me and actor Kevin Grevioux
Me and actor Kevin Grevioux
photokevingrevioux.jpg (173.56 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me and singer Gioia Bruno (Expose)
photogioiabruno.jpg (151.82 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
photogioiabruno1.jpg (160.79 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me and actress Robin Shelby
Me and actress Robin Shelby
photorobinshelby.jpg (155.55 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me and voice actress Shannon Farnon
Me and voice actress Shannon Farnon
photoshannonfarnon.jpg (218.62 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me and voice actor Nolan North
Me and voice actor Nolan North
photonolannorth.jpg (207.6 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me and comic book artist/writer Rob Liefeld (creator of Deadpool)
Me and comic book artist/writer Rob Liefeld (creator of Deadpool)
photorobliefeld.jpg (132.38 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me and comic book artist Steve Lavigne
Me and comic book artist Steve Lavigne
photostevelavigne.jpg (171.66 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me and comic book artist Geof Isherwood
Me and comic book artist Geof Isherwood
photogeofisherwood.jpg (194.61 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me and comic artist Mike Zeck
Me and comic artist Mike Zeck
photomikezeck.jpg (182.47 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me and artist Guy Gilchrist
Me and artist Guy Gilchrist
photoguygilchrist.jpg (276.74 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me and comic book artist Alan Bellman
Me and comic book artist Alan Bellman
photoalanbellman.jpg (220.12 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me and sci-fi author R.A. Salvatore
Me and sci-fi author R.A. Salvatore
photorasalvatore.jpg (230.61 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Shannon Farnon signed photo
Shannon Farnon signed photo
autoshannonfarnon.jpg (190.38 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Robin Shelby signed photo
Robin Shelby signed photo
autorobinshelby.jpg (110.79 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Me holding an original copy of Action Comics #1
Me holding an original copy of Action Comics #1
photoactioncomics1.jpg (139.92 KiB) Viewed 4486 times

Greg2600

Re: JOresky's Rhode Island Comic Con 2016 Report

Post by Greg2600 » November 21st, 2016, 1:16 pm

Good stuff. Why couldn't you just scan the Gal Gadot photo for now? And for the love of God buy a damn USB phone charger, it's like $15!!!!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » November 21st, 2016, 1:19 pm

Joresky wrote:Last weekend I attended the now famous Rhode Island Comic Con.
Pretty bold statement there buddy! DJ and CM might have issues with such a claim! :rofl: :rofl1:

Good job man, everything came out nice! And you are right, that photobomb in your Brianna Hildebrang picture is totally whack! that girl in the background looks like something right out of The Exorcist! blech! :EEEEEEK: And I actually saw these two arriving and leaving together at the AP, so short of making a general statement, but I think they might be an item. :thinking:
Joresky wrote: Next I got a free combo from actress Robin Shelby who played the voice of Slimer in Ghostbusters 2. She was free because I had a vendor badge.. she was free for anyone with a VIP badge or vendors badge.
Aw well this sucks! Had I known, I would’ve tracked her down for a free mooch as well! NOT!
Joresky wrote:We ended up departing Providence around 5 pm and I got home around 3:30 or 4 because class got tired about 30 minutes from my house and had to sleep for a couple hours. This sucked for me because I had to be up at 7:30 am that morning to go to work.
You have GOT TO BE KIDDING me! He went that far and decided he couldn’t go another 30 minutes? Good grief! :facepalm: All he would have had to do was stop, get out of the car, get some blood flowing and he’s good to go…my oh my. This is why I'm glad i usually drive myself as i don't need to concern myself with another passenger. :haeh2:

and for the love of God! shut down some of those APPs or fB you keep opening up on your phone as those will drain your battery right quick! Or if you are charging your phone, at least stay with the phone instead of leaving it with your friend! Me running around all over the friggin' place trying to locate you, or Steve having the venue page you is NOT ideal dude! :killme: Lessons to be learned for future cons!

Other than that, it was great hanging out with you!
Last edited by AsianDave on November 21st, 2016, 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 » November 21st, 2016, 1:22 pm

Greg2600 wrote:Good stuff. Why couldn't you just scan the Gal Gadot photo for now? And for the love of God buy a damn USB phone charger, it's like $15!!!!
I've been telling him for ages to do something about that he doesn't budge :smh:
AsianDave wrote:You have GOT TO BE KIDDING me! He went that far and decided he couldn’t go another 30 minutes? Good grief! :facepalm: All he would have had to do was stop, get out of the car, get some blood flowing and he’s good to go…my oh my. This is why I'm glad i usually drive myself as i don't need to concern myself with another passenger. :haeh2:
As a rule of thumb when I start hallucinating I stop driving. No one would ever get to work if the car crashed and we ended up in the hospital.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » November 21st, 2016, 1:26 pm

Dave, Brianna is openly gay, so there's no statement.

Class, usually hallucinating while driving probably too late. You're already asleep.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » November 21st, 2016, 1:27 pm

you can get a USB charger for $5 at Five Below i think!

Steve, you go through life hullucinating anyway!

Joresky

Post by Joresky » November 21st, 2016, 2:42 pm

I don't have a scanner but there is one at my parents house (sadly won't have a chance to go there until about 2-3 weeks from now).. as soon as I get my jpegs i'll post them here and to my facebook page right away

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » November 21st, 2016, 2:51 pm

Not going there for thanksgiving?

Joresky

Post by Joresky » November 21st, 2016, 2:55 pm

lanza218 wrote:Not going there for thanksgiving?
No my folks are going to Illinois to visit my sister and nephew for Thanksgiving and I am stuck in Maryland working at Target.. can't get away for enough days to go with them because its Black Friday weekend :facepalm2:... the silver lining is this will help me pay off my loan from the bank of class sooner

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » November 21st, 2016, 3:19 pm

class316 wrote:As a rule of thumb when I start hallucinating I stop driving. No one would ever get to work if the car crashed and we ended up in the hospital.
I've driven from Jersey to Chicago, Indianapolis, Iowa, Kentucky, North Carolina, etc., and I have NEVER started hallucinating even once, let alone enough times to institute a rule.

Then again, I sleep in hotel beds while on the road... :thinking:

All kidding aside - by the time you get to the point of hallucination driving, you've already put everybody's lives in the car at risk being behind the wheel. You're either SEVERELY sleep deprived, or you have some sort of serious psychological disorders that are manifesting themselves. Cheapo roadside motels can be easily found on Kayak.com for under $50 a night, and if you split with people, would only cost you maybe twenty bucks, so there's no excuse for pushing yourself to that extent.

Either get a hotel room and do the rest of the drive in the morning, or if that doesn't work for your schedule, bail out of the con earlier, but putting yourself in a car where hallucinations are even an OPTION is an unacceptable level of risk. No combo is worth getting in a car wreck over.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » November 21st, 2016, 3:50 pm

in that we allowed Steve to crash in our room, and that i actually even let him have the bed all to himself, i woudl think he had more than sufficient amount of sleep, so, at least for Sunday alone, he shouldnt have been sleep deprived whatsoever. I went as far as 4 hours into my drive before i needed to pull into a rest stop. but then again, i had at least 9.5 hours of driving.

and i think the proper condition is called "tunnel vision", not driving hullucinations! LOL

class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 » November 21st, 2016, 3:54 pm

AJLe wrote:All kidding aside - by the time you get to the point of hallucination driving, you've already put everybody's lives in the car at risk being behind the wheel.
I agree AJ Le. That's why I pulled over at a rest stop slept for two hours then drove again
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » November 21st, 2016, 3:56 pm

great stuff jorsky..i dont even want to think about how much money you spent at this con..eesh..

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » November 21st, 2016, 4:04 pm

class316 wrote:
AJLe wrote:All kidding aside - by the time you get to the point of hallucination driving, you've already put everybody's lives in the car at risk being behind the wheel.
I agree AJ Le. That's why I pulled over at a rest stop slept for two hours then drove again
My point is, you've already pushed it WAY too far if you got to the hallucination point. You don't just go from normal, safe driving to "I'm having hallucinations" instantly - there was likely a loooooong period of unsafe driving before you finally gave in to pulling over, and you should never really put yourself in that position to begin with.

If I'm going on a long road trip, one of the first things I do is buy a 12 pack of Mountain Dew and put it in the passenger seat for the caffeine supply. Even so, I'm only "definitely good" for up to 6-7 hours a sitting comfortably, and anything over that is getting closer and closer to "get a hotel" range. I've done from Indianapolis to Jersey (10+ hours) in one day before, and it's a miserable drive that's so not worth it unless scheduling gives me no other choice. I've done plenty of stupid, ill-advised driving in my younger days, and looking back the time/money saved was sooooooo not worth the safety/comfort tradeoff.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » November 21st, 2016, 4:19 pm

AJ, the fact Steve would have to spend money on a one bottle of mountain dew, let alone a 12 pack just wasn't gonna happen dude! this guy actually went to the ice machine, filled the ice container and 3 plastic cups full of ice just so he can have water the next day...i'm NOT making this up! Seems practical enough, but we're not experiencing a drought or water shortage! :haeh2:
he's a self professed moocher! why he didn't go to the hotel and mooch some free coffee is beyond me! :shrug: he brought a thermos with him!