Site Admin

NBA Draft 2015...thoughts..esp pick#4

Post by lanza218 » July 1st, 2015, 3:26 pm

Well???

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Re: NBA Draft 2015...thoughts..esp pick#4

Post by djknightrida » July 1st, 2015, 3:52 pm

Legit lol'd at #4 pick. It's like the Knicks are trying to be the new Sixers. Tank away!
2017 Most Unique Photo Winner

:dj:

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » July 1st, 2015, 8:20 pm

Great 4th pick. Rather than take a more NBA ready talent with a lower ceiling, just to try and win now which will never happen, we finally have a post Melo piece. By the time this guy is ready, Melo is winding down. Phil realized they were never getting talent around Melo to really compete with CLE, OKC, GS, SAS, etc, etc, so he let this pick actually look towards the future.

Every Knicks fan bashing this pick will be wearing a Porzingis jersey in 5 years. Quote this post and throw it in my face if I am wrong.

oscargamble
Full Fledged Mark

Post by oscargamble » July 2nd, 2015, 3:14 pm

Kate Fagan's analysis of the Knicks today on "His & Hers" was spot on. For the past few years the Knicks have stupidly traded away picks and any chance at solid youth movement/rebuild in favor of accumulating cash and cap room, thinking with "all this cap space and all this money" they could just go out and buy a top flight free agent or three to come to NYC. As we've seen, nobody wants to come here, so what good is all this cash flexibility? I wasn't thrilled with the Zinger pick just 'cause I'm sick of waiting; seems like we've been told "just wait 2-3 years" forever now... But as Woodmo said, if Zinger proves to be the anti-typical-Euro player maybe we'll all be smiling a couple years from now... We can only hope...

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » July 2nd, 2015, 4:49 pm

If he stays 5 years...besides Melo what NYK has been here real long term? If he works out great, but lets look back to the 2002? Draft of Frederick Wells and who we could have had

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » July 3rd, 2015, 12:45 am

lanza218 wrote:If he stays 5 years...besides Melo what NYK has been here real long term? If he works out great, but lets look back to the 2002? Draft of Frederick Wells and who we could have had
You can't even remotely compare Weis and Porzingis.

Weis was the 15th pick in that draft, and while a bust, he was never projected as a franchise player in terms of talent. Porzingis was top 5 on every analysts mock draft and some scouts called him the best big man in the draft.

He could be a Bargnani comparable bust, or even Darko, but Weis was always a mediocre talent as his 15th selection status shows. You have a fair point on will he be here, but I think he will be. Melo won't be back at the same caliber post knee surgery. I see more Wade, injury filled 60 game seasons. They won't ever try to trade the future to help him further, he's just an attraction to put asses in seats and make them think we're trying to win.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » July 3rd, 2015, 11:00 am

Never said they would. But if the team is stagnant and still not a contender why would a 23/24 year old Franchise player want to resign?

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » July 3rd, 2015, 11:06 am

lanza218 wrote:Never said they would. But if the team is stagnant and still not a contender why would a 23/24 year old Franchise player want to resign?
Fair point. As we see with Aldridge, you can never count on someone staying put. I feel like in the East especially, after 2 guaranteed years, 2 team option years and then finally a RFA year where the Knicks would in this scenario match any signed offer sheet, they would be solid. But God knows. By 25, if he signed a one year offer sheet the Knicks would match, he would be unrestricted and could leave. So yeah, if he's great and they stink, he can get out of dodge in 5 years.