The Blu Rays you recently purchased thread

Discuss movies you've seen or want to see
User avatar
class316
Marked Out Historian
Posts: 6331
Joined: March 14th, 2008, 1:49 pm

Re: The Blu Rays you recently purchased thread

Post by class316 » January 10th, 2019, 1:47 pm

wewantflair wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 7:21 am
You switched from talking about blockbuster 4K discs to obscure cartoon DVDs.
How dare you call Woody Woodpecker obscure! :angry: he was as much a staple of my childhood as Donald Duck, Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, etc etc.
My original post was about buying new release UHD discs, which is just a waste.
I agree. Which is why I don't do that. They are way too much money. I only have a handful of 4K so far. The ones on black friday for instance cost me $9 each.

Also, one of the 4Ks I own (namely Predator), the best version that exists is on a 4K disc. The blu ray that it comes with is essentially a coaster.

Like I said I don't rush to buy any 4K. For instance don't even have the original Bladerunner yet.
ICW wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 7:55 am
Yeah, I just got a 4K UHD TV but still need to get a player (probably next weekend).
I recommend you buy one from amazon. Because you can get for $250 or less a 4K player that also plays all region DVDs and all region blu rays. The ones you buy from stores will only play US and region free DVDs and blus (4K discs have no region coding worldwide).

Once I get a region free 4K player I will hunt down the Region B versions of Metropolis and Nosferatu blus (both far superior to any American release of these). There are many cases for movies new and old where non-US releases are superior.
Greg2600 wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 11:47 am
4K is a waste. Dont need it to enjoy media. Human eye can barely see difference in a regular sized room, unless you've got a 70-inch TV.
I don't know if my vision is better than yours, but go to Costco and look at the 4K TVs they have no display. The difference is mind blowing. I agree with ICW on this issue.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets


User avatar
wewantflair
Site Admin
Posts: 508
Joined: April 7th, 2008, 11:00 pm
Location: NY
Contact:

Re: The Blu Rays you recently purchased thread

Post by wewantflair » January 10th, 2019, 2:43 pm

Newer TVs looking better has nothing at all to do with 4K resolution. Many new TVs use FALD vs edge-lit LCD tech, which greatly improves color depth and black levels. There are also other technological improvements that have occurred in screen tech in the past few years, almost none of which has to do with resolution. If you buy a cheapo 4K tv, you won’t notice any of these improvements at home unless your current tv is a piece of junk as well (as is likely). If you are in the market for a TV, buy the LG OLED E8 series (preferably 65” or above). It’s expensive but it makes everything else on the market look like junk.

ICW
Marked Out Master
Posts: 1546
Joined: August 5th, 2015, 9:38 pm
Contact:

Re: The Blu Rays you recently purchased thread

Post by ICW » January 10th, 2019, 2:46 pm

wewantflair wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 2:43 pm
Newer TVs looking better has nothing at all to do with 4K resolution. Many new TVs use FALD vs edge-lit LCD tech, which greatly improves color depth and black levels. There are also other technological improvements that have occurred in screen tech in the past few years, almost none of which has to do with resolution. If you buy a cheapo 4K tv, you won’t notice any of these improvements at home unless your current tv is a piece of junk as well (as is likely). If you are in the market for a TV, buy the LG OLED E8 series (preferably 65” or above). It’s expensive but it makes everything else on the market look like junk.
That's awesome, thanks for the info. Parents are looking into getting one for themselves.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

User avatar
class316
Marked Out Historian
Posts: 6331
Joined: March 14th, 2008, 1:49 pm

Re: The Blu Rays you recently purchased thread

Post by class316 » January 10th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Also I believe one should gun for an HDR TV as opposed to 4K Ultra HD TV
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

User avatar
wewantflair
Site Admin
Posts: 508
Joined: April 7th, 2008, 11:00 pm
Location: NY
Contact:

Re: The Blu Rays you recently purchased thread

Post by wewantflair » January 10th, 2019, 3:04 pm

class316 wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 2:56 pm
Also I believe one should gun for an HDR TV as opposed to 4K Ultra HD TV
All except the cheapest 4K tv's since 2016 support HDR. The key is to buy one that supports Dolby Vision AND HDR, since Netflix uses Dolby Vision. You also want a TV that can pass HDR and Dolby Vision over ARC/CEC.


User avatar
class316
Marked Out Historian
Posts: 6331
Joined: March 14th, 2008, 1:49 pm

Re: The Blu Rays you recently purchased thread

Post by class316 » January 10th, 2019, 3:12 pm

wewantflair wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 3:04 pm


All except the cheapest 4K tv's since 2016 support HDR. The key is to buy one that supports Dolby Vision AND HDR, since Netflix uses Dolby Vision. You also want a TV that can pass HDR and Dolby Vision over ARC/CEC.
In many 4K TVs I don't see HDR written.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

User avatar
wewantflair
Site Admin
Posts: 508
Joined: April 7th, 2008, 11:00 pm
Location: NY
Contact:

Re: The Blu Rays you recently purchased thread

Post by wewantflair » January 10th, 2019, 3:13 pm

class316 wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 3:12 pm
wewantflair wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 3:04 pm


All except the cheapest 4K tv's since 2016 support HDR. The key is to buy one that supports Dolby Vision AND HDR, since Netflix uses Dolby Vision. You also want a TV that can pass HDR and Dolby Vision over ARC/CEC.
In many 4K TVs I don't see HDR written.
Then you are either looking at the cheapest pieces of shit, TV's manufactured before 2016, or are just not looking in the right spot.

User avatar
wewantflair
Site Admin
Posts: 508
Joined: April 7th, 2008, 11:00 pm
Location: NY
Contact:

Re: The Blu Rays you recently purchased thread

Post by wewantflair » January 10th, 2019, 3:14 pm

By the way, anything marketed as "Ultra HD" or "UHD" means it supports HDR automatically. It's part of that UHD standard.

lanza218
Site Admin
Posts: 4666
Joined: March 15th, 2008, 9:25 pm

Re: The Blu Rays you recently purchased thread

Post by lanza218 » January 11th, 2019, 12:24 pm

class316 wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 1:47 pm
wewantflair wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 7:21 am
You switched from talking about blockbuster 4K discs to obscure cartoon DVDs.
How dare you call Woody Woodpecker obscure! :angry: he was as much a staple of my childhood as Donald Duck, Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, etc etc.
My original post was about buying new release UHD discs, which is just a waste.
I agree. Which is why I don't do that. They are way too much money. I only have a handful of 4K so far. The ones on black friday for instance cost me $9 each.

Also, one of the 4Ks I own (namely Predator), the best version that exists is on a 4K disc. The blu ray that it comes with is essentially a coaster.

Like I said I don't rush to buy any 4K. For instance don't even have the original Bladerunner yet.
ICW wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 7:55 am
Yeah, I just got a 4K UHD TV but still need to get a player (probably next weekend).
I recommend you buy one from amazon. Because you can get for $250 or less a 4K player that also plays all region DVDs and all region blu rays. The ones you buy from stores will only play US and region free DVDs and blus (4K discs have no region coding worldwide).

Once I get a region free 4K player I will hunt down the Region B versions of Metropolis and Nosferatu blus (both far superior to any American release of these). There are many cases for movies new and old where non-US releases are superior.
Greg2600 wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 11:47 am
4K is a waste. Dont need it to enjoy media. Human eye can barely see difference in a regular sized room, unless you've got a 70-inch TV.
I don't know if my vision is better than yours, but go to Costco and look at the 4K TVs they have no display. The difference is mind blowing. I agree with ICW on this issue.
All insanity for a guy with no job and struggling to eat

User avatar
class316
Marked Out Historian
Posts: 6331
Joined: March 14th, 2008, 1:49 pm

Re: The Blu Rays you recently purchased thread

Post by class316 » January 16th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Finally got the Woody Woodpecker and friends DVDs. Watched the first 3 Woody cartoons on the first disc of the first volume, and I remembered them all from my youth.

Regarding the film source and DNR, my reaction is :whaahhh: pretty bad. Still glad to have these classics. Sucks that one cartoon has one scene censored but that's still just 1 cartoon out of so many.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

User avatar
class316
Marked Out Historian
Posts: 6331
Joined: March 14th, 2008, 1:49 pm

Re: The Blu Rays you recently purchased thread

Post by class316 » January 18th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Well I finally caved in and and got Bladerunner Final Cut in 4K! I had $15 in Best Buy reward coupons that expired this month. So I bought that and paid $3 and change in cash. Pretty good deal I'd say. Appropriate that this will be the first movie I watch in 4K when I finally upgrade, since it was the first blu I watched.

I will of course keep the 5 disc blu that I own, as it features the Theatrical versions as originally released.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets


Post Reply