All Elite Wrestling Promotion Confirmed

ICW
Marked Out Master

Re: All Elite Wrestling Promotion Confirmed

Post by ICW » January 30th, 2019, 1:46 pm

AJLe wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 1:08 pm
It depends on whether or not the company sees him as "just a small guy" or not. I mean, Styles and Daniel Bryan aren't really physically much bigger than most of the 205 regulars, but they get used by the company as normal main roster workers who can credibly have a match with anybody big or small, while the 205 guys usually get booked JUST as "small guys". If I was Sydal, I'd be interested in who the WWE wanted to program him with. If he was getting programmed with main roster guys, it would probably be a good move to go back to WWE, but if they just wanted him for 205 live, he can probably do better elsewhere.
That's a solid point although AJ Styles was considerably more popular when he signed with WWE. He had a great run with the IWGP Heavyweight Championship and some damn brilliant matches with Ibushi & Nakamura and was the leader of the most popular wrestling faction in the world.

Daniel Bryan was mostly a geek until WWE (for once) listened to their audience and pushed him to the moon.

I don't really see Matt Sydal coming in and being given the Styles treatment or a push like D-Bry (particularly because he's weak on the mic). He just seems like one of those guys who MIGHT skip NXT, have a solid push on Smackdown for a couple of weeks, then fade into 205 Live purgatory for the next few years.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » February 2nd, 2019, 10:16 pm

Looks like Pentagon and Fenix next to join

class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 » February 4th, 2019, 2:51 am

Seems RF's nephew Maxwell Jacob Feinstein signed with AEW
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 » February 4th, 2019, 5:51 pm

Found this on FB and got a chuckle

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » February 4th, 2019, 5:58 pm

class316 wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 5:51 pm
Found this on FB and got a chuckle

It’s not a horrible comparison, especially since I’m sure Cody shares some of his dads creativity. I’ve always thought the only reason WCW closed was because AOL didn’t want it on there TV.

class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 » February 4th, 2019, 6:01 pm

mrira wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 5:58 pm

It’s not a horrible comparison, especially since I’m sure Cody shares some of his dads creativity. I’ve always thought the only reason WCW closed was because AOL didn’t want it on there TV.
True. Had it gotten a TV deal it probably would have survived.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » February 4th, 2019, 6:07 pm

WCW would have survived with a new TV deal, but it would have had to downgrade. Nobody was going to keep paying the huge money deals that Goldberg, Hogan, Nash, etc. were making, so the "new" WCW would have likely ended up being more like TNA - a super-indy type company that had ex-WWF castoffs and young indy guys that weren't on Vince's radar. There's no way WCW could have survived at that level of money-losing, they would have had to GREATLY scale back their payroll in order for any owner to have kept them going.

class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 » February 4th, 2019, 6:11 pm

AJLe wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 6:07 pm
WCW would have survived with a new TV deal, but it would have had to downgrade. Nobody was going to keep paying the huge money deals that Goldberg, Hogan, Nash, etc. were making, so the "new" WCW would have likely ended up being more like TNA - a super-indy type company that had ex-WWF castoffs and young indy guys that weren't on Vince's radar. There's no way WCW could have survived at that level of money-losing, they would have had to GREATLY scale back their payroll in order for any owner to have kept them going.
While I agree with most of what you say, I don't think it's entirely true. WCW still had name value. TNA never managed to break ground on that front, despite the power of the Internet. In fact, WCW's name weight probably still holds more name value than ROH, TNA, Impact Wrestling, etc despite being long dead and gone.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » February 4th, 2019, 6:26 pm

But fewer and fewer people were watching WITH Hogan and all the big names, so on (presumably) a smaller network, and with fewer names, what good would that name value would have done them? And don't forget that all of those names would have still had existing contracts, so either they would have been included as part of the sale (in which case the new owners are now stuck with a financial anchor), or they stay under AOL contract and sit out their contracts at home (like what happened to Vince).

They still would have had to scale back to a smaller TNA-sized company in order for any owner to have any use for them either way.

class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 » February 4th, 2019, 7:10 pm

AJLe wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 6:26 pm
But fewer and fewer people were watching WITH Hogan and all the big names, so on (presumably) a smaller network, and with fewer names, what good would that name value would have done them? And don't forget that all of those names would have still had existing contracts, so either they would have been included as part of the sale (in which case the new owners are now stuck with a financial anchor), or they stay under AOL contract and sit out their contracts at home (like what happened to Vince).

They still would have had to scale back to a smaller TNA-sized company in order for any owner to have any use for them either way.
I think name value + Ted Turner money would make a difference. Obviously the mega contracts of Nash and Goldberg would be a thing of the past, but I would think it would be much more than a TNA.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » February 4th, 2019, 7:27 pm

If AOL Time Warner sold it, there wouldn't be "Ted Turner money" involved. Turner was still on the board of Time Warner for several years after the death of WCW, and was at the time their biggest stockholder, even though he no longer had operational control after the merger, so he wasn't going to dump his personal money into a new WCW group that was going to air on a presumably competing cable station to the company he still worked for.

If WCW was bought, it would have been by a money mark who wasn't going to go millions in the red just to compete with Vince. They would have been on a legit budget, which means scaling waaaaaaay down from the "ATM Eric" days. Like I said, they would have shrunken to TNA size out of necessity.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » February 5th, 2019, 10:33 pm

AEW has announced the signing of Jimmy Havoc.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » February 8th, 2019, 6:06 am

Kenny Omega is now officially with AEW.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » February 8th, 2019, 11:59 am

Ya. No shock.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » May 9th, 2019, 3:34 pm

It appears that they have a TV deal with Turner:

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/report-a ... um=twitter