Entering the Twilight Zone with Burt Gummer

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Bozarth
Full Fledged Mark

Entering the Twilight Zone with Burt Gummer

Post by Bozarth » January 24th, 2020, 10:25 am

I flew from Philly to LAX, rented a car, and drove 3.5hr into the desert for this event.

When I found out about a Tremors 30th Anniversary Celebration in the area it was actually filmed, I knew I had to go. Actors, creators, panels, and location tours in a backdrop for westerns dating back to the 1920s. John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Quentin Tarantino, Gene Autrey... The landscape is as much of a character as the actual actors. I landed at 8pm, so my entire drive to Lone Pine was in darkness.

The festivities began at 9am, and this is what greeted me as I left my hotel room.

All of a sudden, the entire trip was worth it. That's Mt. Whitney, the tallest mountain in the continental United States. Unreal.

I got to the Western Film Museum (conveniently right across the street) and was interviewed by a documentary crew sent by Universal to document the weekend.

I intend to do a detailed writeup for another site, so I'll just throw some photos and autographs on here. I saw all of the filming sites, including where Perfection was. It's on private property, so the brother of one of the writers organized a tiny (6 people) tour of the area complete with the notes and maps from the production designer. It was incredible. Perfection was built just for the film and torn down/burnt down immediately afterward. Wood and nails from the set are still out there, but some now reside with me in New Jersey.

In attendance were:
Charlotte Stewart (also from Twin Peaks and Eraserhead)
S.S. Wilson (also cowrote Short Circuit)
Michael Gross
Robert Jayne
Brent Maddock (also cowrote Short Circuit)
Alec Gillis (special effects wizard. Also did Aliens, Monster Squad, and more)
Ivo Cristante (production designer)
Ron Underwood (also directed City Slickers and others)
Shawn Christian

The museum has artifacts from many films filmed in the area, including Tremors. Graboids, Shriekers, miniatures. I was in heaven!

All of the autographs and photos were free. It was so laid back.

The gun you see in some photos is the screen used shot gun from the basement scene. When I saw Michael Gross holding it, talking to 3 or 4 people near a Graboid, I had to ask him for the photo. A guy from Texas owns the gun, and this was its first and probably only public appearance. I was thrilled to see the guy with us on the private Perfection tour, and he was kind enough to let me hold it near the replica sign a fan put up in the same spot the original was in 2016. I had an amazing time and won't hesitate to go back there for any future Western festivals or other events they have.

There's a crumbling cafe that was used in the 2nd season of my favorite show, The Twilight Zone. It was on the same road as my hotel and the museum, so I would've regretted not seeing it in person.

The photos are all out of order, but whatever. I saved all of my landscape/nature photos for the other thing I'm writing.

Oh. Here's the screen used dentist coach from Django Unchained. Amazing
Last edited by Bozarth on January 25th, 2020, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greg2600

Re: Entering the Twilight Zone with Burt Gummer

Post by Greg2600 » January 24th, 2020, 1:17 pm

I HATE YOU! Ha ha ha. Wow, the set shots are amazing, especially the big rock they stood on in the first movie! Great that Burt and Melvin showed up, Michael is awesome, very cheeky. Real live graboids (or at least the smaller ones) too! Definitely Experience of the Year 2020 candidate here. Bravo!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

Bozarth
Full Fledged Mark

Post by Bozarth » January 24th, 2020, 1:56 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 1:17 pm
I HATE YOU! Ha ha ha. Wow, the set shots are amazing, especially the big rock they stood on in the first movie! Great that Burt and Melvin showed up, Michael is awesome, very cheeky. Real live graboids (or at least the smaller ones) too! Definitely Experience of the Year 2020 candidate here. Bravo!
Thanks! It was such an amazing time. Here are some more photos

Standing in the spot that Old Fred's shack was

This is where the road workers got attacked. The road still had a "scar" from the jackhammer getting taken away up until a few years ago.

My piece of Chang's Market, still with traces of red paint stain.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » January 24th, 2020, 10:29 pm

This is insane. The scenery is breathtaking and the Tremors stuff is awesome, especially all the on location stuff. This is a definite front runner for experience of 2020!

Cozmik
Full Fledged Mark

Post by Cozmik » January 25th, 2020, 7:41 am

Very nice! I am glad you posted a report on this. These kind of events look great on paper and it seems it was even better in reality for you,

Joresky

Post by Joresky » January 29th, 2020, 9:11 am

Wow very cool!! Looks like you had a great time