(Meh)Awesome Con 2018 Reporddd

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Greg2600

(Meh)Awesome Con 2018 Reporddd

Post by Greg2600 » April 1st, 2018, 8:30 pm

Was it an “awesome” con? Mehhh, it was more like an average run of the mill con. When the guest list originally had far more names I wanted, I was really psyched about making the trip. Unfortunately following cancelations I was just, alright, gotta go, paid already. I really loved waking up at 6AM, but got out the door, ate, and parked underneath the railroad tracks at Newark Penn. On Amtrak I was, and nap time it was. The train pulled into DC around 10:15, and I decided to walk to the convention center. Inside, I had to walk just as much to get to the actual con floor.

First I met up with Class, then spotted CM, to whom I returned his Smallville poster. First order of business was to see the Epic Photo Op support team. I did not wish to hang around until 5:30-6:00pm to get the Smallville dual op, as I assumed I’d be done in a couple hours. I provided a pretty good story, and was told to email them, and someone would do the refund. I did so when I got home at night, and was told the order was canceled the next day!

It was just after 11AM, and the next few hours were quite challenging. The main issue was there was literally nobody to get. Welling, Rosenbaum, Charisma, Chewbacca, etc., the lines were all too long and being capped. As a result, CM, myself, Class, TonyReuben, AsianDave, DJ, all took turns holding spots in their lines, few of which were even moving. The first to break was Michael Rosenbaum, and that was only because he sat there without taking a break almost all day. I paid $80 for the combo, signed my Smallville piece, and Tony took my photo. We also had to endure a woman flipping out because we kept leaving and rejoining the line (too bad), although in fairness Class showed up totally unannounced!

Next we moved to the Joonas Suotamo line, who by the way is charging more than Peter Mayhew, which is just nuts. Anywho, I got just a photo from him, being sure to take a vertical shot, as the Finn is 6’10”.

Back to Welling’s line, where a woman fainted, and we had to wait for the EMT’s to take her away. Tom was super friendly, and I asked if he was doing more shows. He said he wasn’t sure, but that he was heading to Australia next for a con. Like Luthor, he was $80 for the combo.

Earlier in the day, I was in Charisma Carpenter’s line, but it was capped so she could do pro ops. They gave me a number, so I was able to jump to the front of the line. She charged $40 for a dang table selfie, but was very insistent about doing it on a cellphone. I guess she’s just really image conscious, and just didn’t want to do a simple posed photo. I wouldn’t care, if I had a good selfie phone, but my Samsung S6 is putrid with them. Finally she said, I’ll take it with my Nikon, but if she doesn’t like it she’s deleting it! I think she just wanted to get it over with. In any event, I think she looks terrific, and was kind of funny to be given some Cordelia attitude!

I joined Class, who was in line for Ben Savage. The line was agonizingly slow, taking us nearly 45 minutes. His photo only price was $30, and the handler at his table was quite HANDS ON. I really was of the feeling that if we couldn’t switcharoo, then I’ll take Class’s photo and just walk off. Ben was just not a big want/need of mine, having appeared in a few favorites of mine, but as a child who barely did anything. Those would be Little Monsters and Big Girls Don’t Cry, They Get Even. Ben being such a nice guy, posed for both of us, with the woman screaming, and Class insisting on doing reshoots. We technically needed them, but geez I did not need this lady screaming.

I journeyed with AsianDave to meet up with our vendor friend, talked for a bit, and then I returned to get Phil LaMarr from Mad TV. His line featured a 45 minute delay so that these people could interview him. Arghhhhh. While there, I saw Btvsp3 as well, and passed along a gift, ha ha.

With LaMarr done, Dave gave me a lift back to the train station, though along the way he found a lost badge, ha ha.

My feeling is that this con had nice volunteers (though not many of them), was located in a nice section of town, in a good building. They had good guests, just not enough of them. Boyega I think was too overpriced.

Lex and Clark

Charisma

Joonas

Savage

LaMarr

Agent Dave

The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

Gumby
Marked Out Pro

Re: (Meh)Awesome Con 2018 Reporddd

Post by Gumby » April 1st, 2018, 8:54 pm

DAVE!!!

Great report, Greg. Handlers who act like screeching harpies is my #1 convention pet peeve. The entire experience would be nicer--for EVERYONE--if they didn't act so vile.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » April 1st, 2018, 9:02 pm

:asiandave:

Btvsp3
Full Fledged Mark

Post by Btvsp3 » April 2nd, 2018, 2:06 am

It was good seeing you as always! Thanks for the gift! :like:
Follow me on Instagram: StevenLesser

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » April 2nd, 2018, 7:51 am

Con was great. Lines were fine (longest I waited was an hour) Certainly Awesome took a major bath on Boyega. Crazy he couldn’t stand for all his ops while 100 year old Bulloch stood the entire day at his table. Nice seeing you through the day. Hope you give it another chance if they have a decent line up next year.
2017 Most Unique Photo Winner

:dj:

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » April 2nd, 2018, 10:32 am

Next year looks like it's up against Chiller and who knows what else, so prob off the board anyway.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » April 2nd, 2018, 12:32 pm

To illustrate how much John Boyega must have cost them, Boyega flew from LAX to Tokyo then Tokyo to DC for almost 17K total. Now while I would guess they didn't get hit with that full amount, one has to assume they paid 50% of that just for his flight in. And that doesn't include his airfare leaving.

Also I do not think anything at awesome con was over priced. At least not relatively speaking. Prices were basically in line with any other con. If for instance Boyega did NYCC he would have been $200 a pro op just like Felicity Jones was.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

MrTonyRuben
Marked Out Pro

Post by MrTonyRuben » April 2nd, 2018, 1:40 pm

Good stuff, Greg. The Smallville print looks great and I’m glad I could take some decent pics for you.