ICW takes a bite out of NWA Big Apple

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
ICW
Marked Out Master

ICW takes a bite out of NWA Big Apple

Post by ICW » January 27th, 2017, 11:46 pm

I decided to make the short trek to Hackensack, New Jersey, for an NWA Big Apple show. Yes, the advertised card was a far cry from the blow away Indies I’m accustomed to attending…but so what? For me, this show was not about seeing incredible wrestling – it was about obtaining some autographs and photos!

There was just one problem: the show was not advertising a pre-show meet and greet. Worse, they weren’t answering my questions via their Facebook or Twitter pages. I debated whether I should risk paying for a (short) Uber ride and a G.A. ticket only to be disappointed when I arrived…but doors were scheduled to open at 6:00 PM with bell time at 7:30. That told me that there HAD to be a pre-show meet and greet, which is something of a standard bearer for any Indie show. I decided to risk it.

I arrived to Hackensack High School just after 6:00 PM…and didn’t see a soul. As it turns out, the campus is fairly large and I eventually found the entrance to the gym after walking around in circles for 5 minutes or so. I paid f $10 for a GA ticket and was offered a program for free (keep that in mind).

I walked in and the ring crew were still setting up. To my relief, I saw a line of merch tables with several already set-up; however, I didn’t see any of the wrestlers. No biggie, plenty of time.

Just as I was starting to get a little worried, I spotted Rob Conway enter the gym with luggage in tow. He was looking for a spot at one of the tables, a good sign. I then saw Rodney Mack and Jazz walk over to their tables to setup but they quickly disappeared. Finally, I saw Manu setup his table and decided he’d be my first get.

Manu was very nice. His combo $25 and it included a signed 8x10 from him and his brother (LA Smooth). I had him sign the Encyclopedia and took a photo op. He told me to come back to his table with the 8x10 so he and his brother could sign it.

I was about to go to Conway’s table…and he was gone. Boo. There was no one else around, so I sat on the very uncomfortable bleachers and waited for someone else to get to their table.

At around 7:00 PM, Rodney Mack was back at his table. Rodney was actually my main want for the show because he’s a rare name that hasn’t done a convention since I’ve entered the hobby. And guess what? He was $5 combo! He couldn’t have been any nicer. Great guy.

Conway still didn’t come back out to his table and the show eventually started. It was…something. After four matches, they called for a 20 minute intermission.

I noticed someone approach NWA president Bruce Tharpe and ask for a combo, which he gladly agreed to. I was kicking myself for not having anything for him to sign but, then again, I didn’t expect him to show. And then I remembered! The program! I pulled it out and I had him sign it before taking a pic in front of the ring. SUCCESS!

I just needed Rob Conway. Surely he was going to come out at some point during intermission…nope! Worse, just as the 2nd half of the show was starting, I saw his tag partner remove Rob’s stuff from his table! No!

I decided to wait in the lobby and see if I could catch Rob on the way out. I waited for about 10-15 minutes and nothing. Oh well, I missed him. Time to call the Uber and head home…and then I saw him just as I was about to leave! I approached him and asked if he could sign my WrestleMania XX program and he agreed! He asked me if I had fun at the show (I did) although now I wonder if he thought I was just camping out in the lobby waiting for autographs lol. But he was as nice as could be and thanked me for coming down.

I needed Charlie Haas but, sadly, he canceled. Boo. But I can’t complain here…I made out well.

Autographs:
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

Greg2600

Re: ICW takes a bite out of NWA Big Apple

Post by Greg2600 » January 27th, 2017, 11:50 pm

How many people showed up to watch? The Vader thing I did had at most 30.

FYI: I played a couple high school basketball games in that gym many moons ago! Spoiler alert! Hackensack demolished us!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 » January 27th, 2017, 11:58 pm

Didn't ask Conway for a photo op?
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » January 28th, 2017, 12:01 am

Greg2600 wrote:
January 27th, 2017, 11:50 pm
How many people showed up to watch? The Vader thing I did had at most 30.

FYI: I played a couple high school basketball games in that gym many moons ago! Spoiler alert! Hackensack demolished us!
I'd be shocked if it was over 150 people. I'd say just at 100. What position did you play?!? Hackensack Comets seemed like an accomplished high school b-ball team lol
class316 wrote:
January 27th, 2017, 11:58 pm
Didn't ask Conway for a photo op?
Nope, didn't need one. I have one of me holding his NWA title.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!

yosemitechris
Marked Out King

Post by yosemitechris » January 28th, 2017, 12:27 am

some of those high school gym shows, get you some of the best names. great stuff

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » January 28th, 2017, 8:06 am

Awesome stuff. I don't believe I met Mack before either.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » January 28th, 2017, 9:41 am

ICW, they had me at center for the most part, but 100 is a decent crowd.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 » January 28th, 2017, 12:10 pm

WOODMO wrote:
January 28th, 2017, 8:06 am
I remember we were at a LOTR where he was at, but you didn't care to pay for him and you didn't even budge when people were mooching him in the lobby. Jazz was there as well.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » January 28th, 2017, 2:19 pm

class316 wrote:
January 28th, 2017, 12:10 pm
WOODMO wrote:
January 28th, 2017, 8:06 am
I remember we were at a LOTR where he was at, but you didn't care to pay for him and you didn't even budge when people were mooching him in the lobby. Jazz was there as well.
Sounds like something I'd do.

heelorton79
Marked Out Master

Post by heelorton79 » January 28th, 2017, 3:32 pm

Cool!. Mack did not age well. I have the photo, but still need the signature in the encyclopedia.

UFOboy
Full Fledged Mark

Post by UFOboy » January 30th, 2017, 4:23 am

Nice gets!
You didn't try for lucha underground's kobra moon?

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » January 30th, 2017, 6:30 pm

UFOboy wrote:
January 30th, 2017, 4:23 am
Nice gets!
You didn't try for lucha underground's kobra moon?
Nah, I haven't watched much Lucha Underground so I am not familiar with her at all.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » January 31st, 2017, 1:44 pm

Nice work. Seems like an easy event