A look at the hobby in the 90s

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
yosemitechris
Marked Out King

Re: A look at the hobby in the 90s

Post by yosemitechris » November 26th, 2019, 4:55 pm

man if i had even known about autograph collecting or thought about ,that you could get a photo with a wrestler back in the late 80's early 90's i would have so many great names.

remember going to the tucson con center to see guys like andre, studd, rick rude, junk yard dog, and more! plus in the early 90's i didnt even know there was a company called wcw , that came to our area in northern ca all the time.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » February 1st, 2020, 11:22 pm

The prices, and the names, my gosh. These seem to be from around 1991-1992, a couple of large scale card shows in the LA area.

The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » February 2nd, 2020, 7:15 pm

idk if this was posted, but here's a terrific WWF produced show from the Fan Fest at Wrestlemania X in New York in 1994, hosted by Todd and the Macho Man.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » January 8th, 2021, 1:50 am

I missed this one from 1/15/1996 WON:
Bischoff referred to WWF as "Titanic Sports," and pointed out that they are now charging fans to get their pictures taken with the WWF champion (WWF started doing the Polaroid gimmick at house shows over the weekend charging fans $10 for a picture with them with Bret and the belt).
I wonder if this is a suited, in-ring picture or just a general pre/post-show meet & greet?
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

Jason1980s
Marked Out King

Post by Jason1980s » January 8th, 2021, 8:57 am

ICW wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 1:50 am

I wonder if this is a suited, in-ring picture or just a general pre/post-show meet & greet?
OH! I replied to this on the freaking awesome network board when they did a WCW Observer news.

I went to the day before Survivor Series 1995 photo op with Razor Ramon. They also did ones with Ahmed, Savio and Alundra at other places. I am so glad I went to the Razor. I get WCW was doing free promo autograph signings and I went to a lot of them but I lost most of them, but the photo op I kept.

Even as an adult I am so happy I went to it. Razor is my hero even as an adult and I have the photo, which my friend Todd got signed for me, on my book shelf. A few years later I got to meet Scott Hall at a show where we held up the copy of my photo and that has been my facebook profile picture for 5 years. I have no plans on taking it down. I have a picture of Scott taking a picture on his camera of our photo and he gave his mother the copy of the photo since I already had the original. So that photo op Bischoff knocked made someone very happy for 25 years and counting.

And to the original question, the Razor was suited-not sure about the others. Somewhere on this site is my Razor photo, he is wearing a vest and blue slacks like he wore in the original 1992 promo videos. I am wearing the 1993 yellow Razor shirt which I wound up wearing out to the point it tore all up and I threw it away (a regret). I have never seen the other three photo ops. Ahmed and Savio were a dual photo op at one place and Alundra was at another.
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » January 17th, 2021, 12:52 pm

Some new stuff I acquired to my personal collection.

First is a postcard WWF sent out to fans who wrote fan mail to Hulk Hogan. This card sells for $60-$100, but as someone who literally scours every corner of the internet to find obscure autographs, I was able to find this along with a signed magazine by the Hulkster from the same guy, and I talked him down to $60 for the lot with local pickup.

Another obscure find is this WWF program with match card, that was signed by Bossman, Hogan and Slaughter. I got a pretty good deal I think on this piece, and the seller even had photos he took of/with the guys signing. A very cool glimpse into old school combo hunting, and my first Bossman auto in my collection.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » January 21st, 2021, 8:00 pm

Great photos those little whippersnappers got!

BTW I would LOVE to find some old pics of any Hulk Hogan impersonators! My cousin had one at his birthday party 30+ years ago. I lost the "signed postcard" he gave out.

Jason1980s
Marked Out King

Post by Jason1980s » January 22nd, 2021, 8:59 am

Greg2600 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 8:00 pm

BTW I would LOVE to find some old pics of any Hulk Hogan impersonators! My cousin had one at his birthday party 30+ years ago. I lost the "signed postcard" he gave out.
Was the impersonator good, was he popular with the kids or did he fall flat like the Ghostbusters 2 party?

Many years ago at a buffet autograph signing for WCW there were two wrestlers scheduled to sign. When my father called the restaurant they said it was "Alex Wright and a Hulk Hogan impersonator." I was pretty disappointed. I liked Alex but didn't like the idea of an impersonator. As a fan of lower card guys, I marked out big when I saw it was actually Dave Sullivan who had been doing the Hulk fan gimmick at the time.
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » January 22nd, 2021, 2:25 pm

Jason1980s wrote:
January 22nd, 2021, 8:59 am
Greg2600 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 8:00 pm

Was the impersonator good, was he popular with the kids or did he fall flat like the Ghostbusters 2 party?
My cousin was younger than me and enjoyed it. I was probably 10 or 11 and figured he was a fake. I recall he held the kids upside down and took a Polaroid and signed that.