Anyone else not missing the hobby?

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
ICW
Marked Out Master

Anyone else not missing the hobby?

Post by ICW » October 27th, 2020, 9:29 pm

I thought I would be jonesing for autograph signings or meet & greets but, surprisingly, I'm not. In fact, I find myself questioning how hard I'll get back into the hobby post-COVID (for a number of different reasons)
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: Anyone else not missing the hobby?

Post by WOODMO » October 28th, 2020, 2:59 pm

I would say I am comfortable. Not really going crazy missing cons and signings, I get that with my comfort level I will not be at a big signing likely until 2022, so I have accepted that. But I am focusing more on autographs and developing that aspect of my hobby which was lacking for years, so I am still actively participating in it. When things resume safely, I will resume, but I totally fine not going for as long as needed.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » October 28th, 2020, 7:52 pm

Funny you should ask, because :lanza: and I recorded another podcast, where we spend most of the 2nd half of it talking about this very thing. Give us a listen!

https://www.paunchstevenson.com/2020/10/21/episode-305/

I miss several things more than this hobby, that's for sure. Hobby-wise, I lament the guaranteed con meets and signings. The street stuff, ehhhh, frankly I had become increasingly sick of it. I miss the low-key, easy spots where there's only a few collectors. The rest of it, which sadly is what the NYC hobby had become, hell no. Haven't missed any of that one bit, and frankly have almost no urge to do any of it, any time soon. It had simply become ridiculous, every spot is blown, 15-20 lame-O's who just graph or chase all day and night.

More and more, I think Dana is right, 2022 is likely the earliest at this point, as the best vaccines probably won't be distributed until late in 2021. With how it seems any gathering is starting spreads again, how can any sane Governor allow conventions?
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » October 29th, 2020, 4:34 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 7:52 pm
Funny you should ask, because :lanza: and I recorded another podcast, where we spend most of the 2nd half of it talking about this very thing. Give us a listen!

https://www.paunchstevenson.com/2020/10/21/episode-305/

I miss several things more than this hobby, that's for sure. Hobby-wise, I lament the guaranteed con meets and signings. The street stuff, ehhhh, frankly I had become increasingly sick of it. I miss the low-key, easy spots where there's only a few collectors. The rest of it, which sadly is what the NYC hobby had become, hell no. Haven't missed any of that one bit, and frankly have almost no urge to do any of it, any time soon. It had simply become ridiculous, every spot is blown, 15-20 lame-O's who just graph or chase all day and night.

More and more, I think Dana is right, 2022 is likely the earliest at this point, as the best vaccines probably won't be distributed until late in 2021. With how it seems any gathering is starting spreads again, how can any sane Governor allow conventions?
That was a great listen!
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » October 29th, 2020, 4:36 pm

Marked Out should have a podcast lol

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » October 30th, 2020, 4:18 pm

If I miss doing M&G’s I just look at my photos.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » November 1st, 2020, 1:02 am

ICW wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 9:29 pm
I thought I would be jonesing for autograph signings or meet & greets but, surprisingly, I'm not. In fact, I find myself questioning how hard I'll get back into the hobby post-COVID (for a number of different reasons)
Wat are some of the reasons?

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » November 1st, 2020, 12:10 pm

ICW wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 4:36 pm
Marked Out should have a podcast lol
I suppose we could organize a ZOOM!!!! :blank:
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » November 1st, 2020, 4:34 pm

lanza218 wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 1:02 am
ICW wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 9:29 pm
Wat are some of the reasons?
-I'm totally uninterested in wrestling at the moment. I'll occasionally watch AEW (which I always enjoy), I loathe WWE, and I haven't watched New Japan since Wrestle Kingdom. I tend to go through phases, though, so maybe that fire will be reignited post-COVID but I'm sort of over it.

-I've met pretty much everyone I've ever wanted to meet in wrestling. The only names BIG names I haven't gotten are The Rock (who I will never score), Stone Cold (who rarely does signings but I would probably pony up the dough to meet him), Hulk Hogan (who I don't have any real desire to meet), and the McMahons (minus Shane). I've met Cena, Undertaker, Bruno, Flair, etc. and I have ZERO interest in meeting current WWE talent. Couldn't care less about any of them (and I've met so many of them anyway). I've met so many from AEW that the only BIG name I'd like to meet is Moxley and, like, Eddie Kingston.

-I don't think I'm going to get repeated names just for the sake of repeated names. I don't particularly care about getting someone because they're in the WWE Ultimate Superstars Guide or something. They're projects I'll never complete and I don't want to fork over $20-$30 to add an autograph just to try and "complete" it as much as I want I'll probably do repeats for items that I really want to get signed.

-And, quite honestly, I'm tired of giving my money to talent who end up being shitty people IRL. It sucks whenever I see a story about a wrestler doing or saying something dumb, racist, scientifically incorrect, etc. or being credibly accused of sexual assault. It's like...ugh I've given that person my business before.

I'm pretty proud of all the names I've met. Is at extensive as you, Greg, Dana, etc? Nah. But I also made a promise to myself that I'd never do hotels and airports (a pretty easy promise to make) and there's a certain line monetarily I just won't cross. I'm not done with the hobby and I'll likely still attend the usual conventions but the days of getting like 25+ names are likely over

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » November 2nd, 2020, 8:08 pm

Totally valid points.

crossfire
Marked Out Pro

Post by crossfire » November 3rd, 2020, 4:32 am

Not really missing it honestly. Don’t want to spend the money anymore like I did. My list of wants isn’t huge and since buying a house and getting engaged, my priorities simply changed.

That doesn’t mean I will never go to a convention ever again. It’s just my interest level has gone down huge. I’ve done a few virtual signings. Mostly for books. If life ever gets back to normal, I’ll attend again I’m sure.

Hbklique1
Marking Out Amateur

Post by Hbklique1 » November 3rd, 2020, 6:24 pm

it'd be cool to go to a convention once things are a little more normal. All the lack of cons has done is shifted my attention to other things (house projects, paid off debt significantly sooner). Though it seems like a benefit is the amount of bigger name private signings that have taken place this year to get first time signatures or complete cast pieces.

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » November 5th, 2020, 11:45 am

I miss these. I miss Chiller for sure and would have loved to bring my son to RSF this month assuming that they had people he wanted to meet. These shows were always for for us, bummer that they won’t happen for some time.

Anthony18
Marked Out Pro

Post by Anthony18 » November 6th, 2020, 5:27 pm

I miss going to signings, but I'm liking these virtual signings.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » November 6th, 2020, 7:38 pm

I have issues sitting through virtual signings but they look undeniably successful. Really smart of the vendors to do them.