Mikey's Second Chiller Experience (April, 2009) (Kicking It Old School)

Place to find reports on meets of the past.
mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Mikey's Second Chiller Experience (April, 2009) (Kicking It Old School)

Post by mikeyicon » September 2nd, 2016, 3:23 pm

After an amazing experience at my first Chiller show in October of 2008, I was hoping the second show might even outdo the first? To avoid the crowds on Saturday which we had learned about at the previous show, I went with my brother and pops again on the Sunday of the April 2009 show. I recall it being a beautiful sunny day, and thinking it was neat to see some of the guests walking in as we waited in line early to guarantee early entry into the event. There went Ax and Smash of Demolition, there went "The Fake Jan Brady" Geri Reischl (more on her later!) and we were told Larry Storch of F-Troop also just walked by from the Chiller employee allowing people in and out of the inflatable bubble tent. 9:00 came, and it was time to walk around and chat with some legends from the movies and TV shows of my childhood, and hope to get some great photo opportunities in the process.
Tippi Hedren
Tippi Hedren
Tippi.jpg (556.26 KiB) Viewed 2893 times
Frank Stallone! The dude many know only as Sly's brother, but who I admired not just for his boxing match against Geraldo on the Howard Stern show, and of course his classic 80's smash hit song from Stayin' Alive, Far From Over. I assumed he and his brother had a nice relationship, but Frank was quick to tell me when I asked him about him contributing tunes to future Sly movies, he told me his brother was an a-hole. Bummer! I wanted a photo with Frank Stallone, and although our conversation was kind of crummy, I still felt I needed it. He tried to hawk one of his generic CD's signed, but I had no use or desire for an autographed copy for $25. I gave him $10 and got my quick impersonal photo with him. Yet, instead of being happy I got a photo with the guy who sang Take You Back from Rocky, I was mad at myself for spending money for this guy who I respected, but really was a "nobody" I always say you have to try new things in order to learn, and this was the first lesson to remind me to be smart when asking for photos.
Frank Stallone
Frank Stallone
Mike _Frank Stallone.jpg (623.55 KiB) Viewed 2893 times
I'm a huge mark for The Brady Bunch and anything related to it. So I needed to chat with Geri Reischl who played Jan Brady on The Brady Bunch variety hour show which was spoofed many years later on The Simpsons. Now, she is known as "The Fake Jan"!! She was so sweet, told us tons of great stories about working on the show, and took the first of many photos with us that day. Geri would eventually become a friend of mine, and has seen my daughter grow up at these shows. Since she has now become a regular at the Chiller shows, it's always cool to see her and catch up on life. My dad even has her phone# in his cell phone. Since we took the photo without a price even being discussed, a light bulb went off in my head that for some of the C and D level stars, if you can have a normal conversation with them about their careers, it might be a lot easier to get photos without having to shell out money. I could care less about autographs, but have always been a fan of photos to document great experiences. With all these amazing people asking for money to take photos but truly enjoying the Chiller experience, I knew I would have to find a way to get them without going broke.
Fake Jan Brady
Fake Jan Brady
Mike w_Geri Reichl.jpg (810.79 KiB) Viewed 2893 times
Ax and Smash from Demolition weren't doing much at their table inside the bubble tent, so we had a great conversation with them about their chances of getting into the WWF Hall Of Fame. Barry Darsow (Smash) laughed and pointed to Bill Eadie (Ax) that it was probably the fault of his partner that it was never going to happen due to stories I've heard about business relationships gone sour between Ax and Vince McMahon. Darsow also told us some good stories about being Repo-Man, Khrusher Khruschev, and Pain Stewart. I thought it was neat that these guys even wore some make-up, although it being a far cry from their get-up during their WWF run.

As a kid, I had a big crush on EG Daily who is best known for playing Dottie in Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Yes, I am aware she also appeared in some Rod Stewart videos on MTV, sang tunes on Scarface and Summer School soundtracks, and does a lot of voice work Nickelodeon cartoons. I wanted to meet her. We had a nice conversation, and although she looked great for her age, she had lost a lot of the weight that attracted me to her in the 80's. Strange that she was nice, but also trying very hard for us to buy an autograph. I was debating to ask if she would do the photo at no cost, but determined that it wasn't that important. I had no interest in buying an 8 X 10 autographed photo.

Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge is one of my favorite "unintentionally funny" 80's movies of all time. The movie's subconscious theme is about being gay and coming out, and there are plenty of homoerotic messages in the movie if you pay close attention. Robert Rusler (who also appeared in Weird Science) was in Elm Street 2, and as he was sitting at his table scanning the crowd, I simply mentioned that Elm Street 2 is the gayest movie unintentionally of all time hoping I didn't offend him at all. As we went to chat with Jason Lively who I loved as Rusty Griswold in National Lampoon's European Vacation, Robert Rusler came up to me and started playing a classic scene from Elm Street 2 on his iphone, and we began laughing and having a great conversation. I figured he talked non-stop about the homo-erotic overtones in Elm Street 2 with fans, but apparently I was one of the first people to mention it. He enjoyed our conversation so much that he demanded we take a photo with him and Jason Lively as he needed a photo with the twins. I was happy to oblige, and got a great photo at no cost. Again, I was picking up on something and realizing that if the celebs don't have a handler at their table, and you can engage them in conversation, they will do the photo for free. Note this also was 2009, before conventions got really hot and became money-making rackets, so I was also fortunate to be at the right place at the right time. And actors like Robert Rusler are not big name actors to most people. On the other hand, I'm a legitimate fan of 80's stars, so it's all bonus to me.
Robert Rusler & Jason Lively
Robert Rusler & Jason Lively
80s stars.jpg (396.21 KiB) Viewed 2893 times
Jason Lively, as mentioned, was also super cool. He was telling us all kind of behind the scenes stories of making National Lampoon's European Vacation, how he adored Dana Hill (who played Audrey and passed away at an early age!). I asked about his sister, and he started talking about her, but I was confused. I knew his sister was Robyn Lively, best known for Teen Witch and The Karate Kid Part 3. Little did I know, he was talking about his much younger sister, Blake, who has become a huge star!!! Again, great conversation, and a free photo with my favorite Rusty from the Vacation franchise.
Jason Lively
Jason Lively
Lively.jpg (493.68 KiB) Viewed 2893 times
Remember I mentioned my encounter with William Forsythe at the first Chiller show? Since I knew he was coming back this show, I brought the "That Guy" book to indicate what I had thought. When I went up to him, I asked if he remembered our conversation, figuring now I would definitely get a free photo and signature (hey for free, why not!). He did remember, so I handed him the book. He read it quickly, and than threw it at me. Yikes! I figured it wasn't a good time to ask for a free photo. Ironically, he's been back at the show numerous times (and he actually will do photos for free!), but every time I pass his table, we exchange quick glances, and I'm quick to move on!

My father has only a few celebrity idols, but of the few, one is Tony Curtis. He is the legendary actor of classics like Some Like It Hot and Spartacus, and of course the father of Jaime Lee. My dad was on the fence about paying for a photo and autograph, but since the line had died down, I told him he might as well go for it since I believe the price was $30 for a combo. My dad met him and had a nice conversation. I think my dad might have even gotten a little too starstruck and kissed his hand!!! When my dad mentioned he was raised in Israel, Tony reminded him they shared a heritage and his real name was Bernard Schwartz. I should have mooched off my dad and got a photo as Tony was very cordial and allowed my dad to take as many photos as he wanted. Oh well! Rest in peace, Tony Curtis, and thanks for taking 5-10 minutes to give my dad an experience that he still talks about many years later. Of course, my dad has the personalized autograph and doesn't realize it's of no value to sell on ebay.
Tony Curtis
Tony Curtis
Tony Curtis.jpg (766.48 KiB) Viewed 2893 times
Tony Curtis Being Worshipped
Tony Curtis Being Worshipped
Kissing fingers.jpg (774.96 KiB) Viewed 2893 times
Tony Curtis & My Dad
Tony Curtis & My Dad
Dad with Tony Curtis.jpg (694.36 KiB) Viewed 2893 times
The main want at this show for me was Erin Grey. She was one of my first celeb crushes even when I was a perverted six year old kid who loved her not only on Silver Spoons and Buck Rodgers, but also for her role in one of the first films I ever saw, Six Pack. For those who never saw this movie, go watch it not just for some fun music and Kenny Rogers, but a very young Diane Lane and Anthony Michael-Hall. Anyway, she liked my buddy Ron's shirt, and we began having a great conversation about her career. I began bombarding her with questions like what was it like making out with Kenny Rogers? Does she still keep in touch with Ricky Schroeder and Joel Huggins from Silver Spoons? Was that train on the Silver Spoons set real? She was so nice and exceeded all expectations. I had to get a photo, and since she was asking for $5 for charity, and to me she was the biggest star at the event, I saw value and was more than happy to throw the money in the bucket. I must have had a good camera, since you can see the bra she was wearing that day in this photo. Ironically, when I saw her at Monster Mania a few years later, she remembered me from this experience, so I guess I made an impact. Pretty cool that a celeb crush actually remembered me!!! Quoting a Weird Al lyric, it's my lame claim to fame!
Erin Gray
Erin Gray
Erin Gray 2.jpg (575.06 KiB) Viewed 2893 times
Zach Galligan was another great guest. No handler with him, just sitting at his table with nobody around which surprised me since he was the star of Gremlins. We had a great conversation about the Gremlins movies, Phoebe Cates, filming scenes with the puppets, and both agreeing that Gremlins 2 might have actually been a better film than the original. Times have changed, as he would return years later and charge $20 for a photo only. At this show, photos were free, and I was more than happy to get a photo with Billy Peltzer.
Zach Galligan
Zach Galligan
Mike w_Galligan.jpg (480.75 KiB) Viewed 2893 times
My buddy Ron was at the show, which I thought was great, as nobody has more old-school obscure pop-culture references than him. It was awesome to catch up with him after not seeing Mr. Old School for awhile since graduating college. He's pretty much been with us for every Chiller show since. As we were shooting the shizz, he mentioned that a significant event that could impact world peace was taking place at Chiller. What was he talking about, and where the hell did my dad go? Ron mentioned to look over to a spot where I see my dad and The Iron Sheik having a conversation. Since my dad is from Israel, and the Sheik is from Iran (and certified nuts!) I was concerned that a brawl might take place. But instead, they were enjoying each other's company, and it was great to see. I only wish I had taken a photo of this encounter!!

Other Highlights: Fist bumping Corbin Bernsen while walking around, getting confirmation from Jason and Jeremy London that they will play me and my brother when the movie about our life eventually gets made, chatting with Lynn Lowry and her wanting to take a photo since he thought it was cute I had no idea who she was but admired her nude photos on her table but I declined, and my dad being told adamantly by me and my brother not to bother Pat Harrington (Schneider from One Day At A Time) when he was next to him in the men's room.

So the second experience at Chiller was great as well. Very fan-friendly, didn't have to worry about spending money I didn't have, and had some more great conversations with actors who appeared in some of my favorite films and TV shows of all time. No doubt, I was anxious for the next show, and curious what cool cats I would get to meet next!

Chiller Show #2 April, 2009 (Kickin' It Old School)
Biggest Names I Needed To Meet: Zach Galligan*, Jason Lively*, Erin Grey*
Photos Gotten: Jason Lively, Erin Gray, Geri Reischl, Zach Galligan, Frank Stallone, Rob Rusler, Tony Curtis#
Coulda/Woulda/Shoulda: Lynn Lowry, Tony Curtis
MVP: Geri Reischl
MVP (2): Erin Gray
MVP (3): Rob Rusler & Jason Lively
Biggest Douche: William Forsythe
Biggest Line: Peter Criss
Top Billed Name: George Romero
Rookie: Lynn Lowry
Best Of The Rest: Christopher Atkins*, EG Daily*, Corbin Bernsen, Iron Sheik, Jason London*, Jeremy London*, Edward J. Olmos, Taylor Dayne, Peter Criss, Demolition*, Pat Harrington*, Richard Kline
Rating: A

WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: Mikey's Second Chiller Experience (April, 2009) (Kicking It Old School)

Post by WOODMO » September 2nd, 2016, 4:13 pm

Always great reading about the old events like this, I believe my first Chiller was around this time. Tony Curtis would have been a good one.

Thanks for sharing. I would love to see more flashback reports from stuff before the site existed or people joined.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » September 7th, 2016, 5:25 pm

this is some great stuff dude! i might have to dig into my archive and post some of my old cons! really enjoy reading about how shows used to be in years past as compared to the ones we attend now. I regret not having known about or attended the Chiller or Monster shows until around 2011! sigh...
the image of your father kissing Tony Curtis' hand is fabulous! i love candid shots such as these! they so capture the moment! and to boot, Curtis isn't even a Pope, or the Godfather! LOL :lol:
Tony Curtis.jpeg
Tony Curtis.jpeg (931.14 KiB) Viewed 2815 times
and i gotta tell ya, your father reminds me of Billy Baldwin, perhaps an older Billy in a few years time perhaps? Nevertheless, quite an uncanny resemblance. :likewhatsee:
Billy Baldwin double.jpeg
Billy Baldwin double.jpeg (254.59 KiB) Viewed 2815 times

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » September 7th, 2016, 6:48 pm

Frank Stallone, Tony Curtis, and Lively all big misses by me I guess (by not going back then).
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » September 10th, 2016, 9:42 am

HAHAHA, yeah my dad always gets stopped at the show. A few times, he will even wear a sports coat and people will shake his hand and say they love his work, it's hilarious! I've heard Billy Baldwin, sometimes Liam Neeson, sometimes Dave Barry. He's become a regular. Yeah, I try to get real shots reflecting the fun time, I don't really care for quick impersonal shots unless that's my only choice.

Chiller# experience three is almost done which ironically was my #2 Chiller show ever. When you read about it, you'll understand why!!!

Thanks for comments, and enjoying!