Dark Side of the Ring

Discuss your favorite TV shows from the past and the present.
mrira
Marked Out Master

Dark Side of the Ring

Post by mrira » April 22nd, 2019, 5:39 pm

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the show so far? Randy & Elizabeth was ok, but the Montreal Screwjob one was incredibly interesting. I had no clue Cornette or Russo came up with it.

lanza218
Site Admin

Re: Dark Side of the Ring

Post by lanza218 » April 22nd, 2019, 6:13 pm

It's very good but again have to take everything with a grain of salt. Def interesting though. At this point sounds like 10 people lay claim to have come up with the screw job

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » April 22nd, 2019, 6:48 pm

Yeah, and Cornette's version in this show kinda contradicts details he's given in about 682 different shoot interviews he's given over the years, so I think he's probably working at least a little bit. According to Cornette in this show, Vince was trying to come up with the finish talking to JUST Cornette and Russo, and that's when Cornette claims he came up with it. I find it really, really hard to believe that (prior to coming up with the Screwjob part of it) Vince would have had an important creative meeting that didn't include Patterson, Prichard, and Ross, and minimum. I can see Vince excluding some of those guys AFTER the screwjob idea is presented, to give them plausible deniability with the locker room, but no way those guys aren't in the loop before.

But I think the best episode so far, by a long shot, is the Bruiser Brody one. It kinda ruins the other episodes though, since it's hard to get riled up over the "darkness" of Savage acting paranoid and possessive, or Vince changing a wrestling finish, after you hear the story about a wrestler being murdered in a locker room by the booker, and it being covered up by the promotion. Even more sleazy is the fact that the murderer went on to continue to work as a top babyface in Puerto Rico for decades afterwards. It's such a terrible story, stuff like Savage and Montreal seems so trivial by comparison.

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » April 22nd, 2019, 7:53 pm

I love the show and I'm surprised that it took this long for a show like this to be on tv.

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » April 23rd, 2019, 7:55 pm

AJLe wrote:
April 22nd, 2019, 6:48 pm
Yeah, and Cornette's version in this show kinda contradicts details he's given in about 682 different shoot interviews he's given over the years, so I think he's probably working at least a little bit. According to Cornette in this show, Vince was trying to come up with the finish talking to JUST Cornette and Russo, and that's when Cornette claims he came up with it. I find it really, really hard to believe that (prior to coming up with the Screwjob part of it) Vince would have had an important creative meeting that didn't include Patterson, Prichard, and Ross, and minimum. I can see Vince excluding some of those guys AFTER the screwjob idea is presented, to give them plausible deniability with the locker room, but no way those guys aren't in the loop before.

But I think the best episode so far, by a long shot, is the Bruiser Brody one. It kinda ruins the other episodes though, since it's hard to get riled up over the "darkness" of Savage acting paranoid and possessive, or Vince changing a wrestling finish, after you hear the story about a wrestler being murdered in a locker room by the booker, and it being covered up by the promotion. Even more sleazy is the fact that the murderer went on to continue to work as a top babyface in Puerto Rico for decades afterwards. It's such a terrible story, stuff like Savage and Montreal seems so trivial by comparison.
Supposedly the Gino Hernandez episode is supposed to be the best one.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » April 23rd, 2019, 8:57 pm

I imagine it will be a great episode, but it's a shame that some of the people who would have had the most insight (Gary Hart and Chris Adams, specifically) have already passed.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » April 23rd, 2019, 9:03 pm

I want to see the Bruiser Brody episode. I saw the Highspots documentary and that was just fantastic.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » April 23rd, 2019, 9:44 pm

ICW wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 9:03 pm
I want to see the Bruiser Brody episode. I saw the Highspots documentary and that was just fantastic.
Viceland put the Brody episode up on their Youtube channel:

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » April 23rd, 2019, 11:09 pm

AJLe wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 9:44 pm
ICW wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 9:03 pm
Viceland put the Brody episode up on their Youtube channel:

Sweet, thanks! Did you ever see the Brody doc on highspots?
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/